What's A Penny Worth?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Nov 24, 2008.

1. apswartz

apswartz New Member

The Indigo Simian :happy102

2. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I never wanted to buy razors in bulk loads. Just a couple that appealed to me for use and not for collecting.
    The thing that pi**ed me off, was the sniping itself.
    I hadn't heard of sniping before bidding on this item and i don't like the idea of having to use a program to get the highest bid in the last second.
    I can tell that a lot of members here use sniping software, so maybe i'm just being a big baby about this :sad024
    Account is closed

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Not me, I don't buy straights! ;)

4. apswartz

apswartz New Member

5. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Don't ask, don't tell!

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The person with the highest bid wins, no matter when in the auction they place their bid. I was upset when I got sniped the first time, but after thinking about it I realized that if your max was higher than the snipers max, you win. Wouldn't matter if it were a snipe, or a bid on the first day of the auction.

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i snipe by hand. youre all lazy. lazy i say.

9. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Yes, from your closet in the library using smoke signals...
    :happy102

10. Bussemand

I know how maximum bid works on ebay.
    I made a careful bid three days before bidding closed, not knowing how much the razor would sell for/was worth.
    I expected others to bid and maybe get an idea of what ammount i would set as maximum/or if i wanted to raise the bid at all.
    My case was probably a textbook sniping example with only one low starting bid and no action after that until the last second of the auction.
    I think sniping software gives you an unfair advantage over sellers and people that don't often use ebay. If not, why use it at all?
    The layout of ebay is english auction, but with the sniping, they might as well change it to a sealed first-price auction.
    I know there's a lot of ifs and buts to the above, but this is the feeling i'm left with. Boo-hoo!

11. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

Zinc core, copper cladding. Not that it matters . . .

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

:happy097

damn you.

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

We're lazy? You won't even hit the Shift button to properly capitalize! :taunt002

14. apswartz

apswartz New Member

:happy093
    Ohhhhhhhh! that is tooooo funny!

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

he got me there :o

hahahaha.

16. riffin

riffin Active Member

Snipping doesn't give an unfair advantage. It's available to everyone. Some programs are free.

I think a lot of folks bid the price that they WANT to get it for, not what they are truly WILLING to pay. I pick a bid that if it goes over that, I'm glad I didn't win, even if it by a peny. If I feel disappointed I lost, that tells me I didn't bid high enough for that item. That will inform my next bid.

In my own experience, if I bid early and baby sit it, I grow a sense of ownership. That makes me more determined to win. I have bid too high at the last minute as a result of that and regretted winning.

For me snipping helps me make a truer evaluation of the item's worth to me and saves me from getting caught up in a last minute bidding war. It also protects me from bidders who themselves get caught up in that.

17. Bussemand

And knives don't give you an advantage in a fight, because they are available to everyone...