What's for dinner tonight?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by txskimo, Mar 8, 2015.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Couldn’t do without my cast iron cookware!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I haven't had a problem with either issue. My cast iron works well on my glass top stove. I have heard of some manufacturers who discourage their use, and there could be some possible warranty issues, so you'll have to choose your own risk level. Most of my iron is antique and sits flat on my stove. Newer iron has a tendency to be heavier and more prone to being a little warped. Either issue could be a problem on glass. Of course in any case you don't want to be sliding the pans around the stove top. I place them down and leave them there until I'm through cooking.

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Tonight’s dinner was fettuccine with chicken-apple sausage in a light Alfredo basil sauce. (It uses eggs & cheese but no cream or butter.)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Weekly dinner with my oldest daughter tonight. We try to do Vietnamese "Pho" and a "Taro Smoothy", every Tuesday. None of the other kids around. Just a Daddy Daughter thing.

Brickman301, AGHisBBS and jmudrick like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My Vietnamese wife was a fabulous cook but pho was one of those things she viewed as too much of a production to do right . Sounds like a lovely way to spend Tuesdays.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS and DaltonGang like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My friend came and hauled off all the furniture I didn't want to move so now I need to start weeding through the pantry. Simmering on the stove is something I'm not sure is going to work.

1 can Butter Beans
    1 can Black Eyes
    3 links of precooked breakfast sausage
    2 tbsp bone broth
    salt and pepper

Gonna let it stew for an hour or two, see what's what. My family LOVES my butter beans/split pea soup combo; not sure this one will be a hit. The flavors are rather different.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  7. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My 11 year old has been asking for homemade buttermilk biscuits , so I made her help me out in the kitchen.
    IMG_2108.jpg

BigMark83, Sara-s, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Pho is one of my faves. Partial to Green Tea if I order a smoothie. I generally like my pho with tripe, tendon and raw steak, and topped with saw herb (or cilantro leaves), asian basil, sliced chiles, two limes and an extra shake of fish sauce.

Also @jmudrick

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and jmudrick like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Exactly how I like my pho as well. In spite of there being a huge Vietnamese population in Phnom Penh (where I am for the summer) I've yet to find a really good bowl here. Saigon is not too far away fortunately.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. DaltonGang

I've never tried the tripe, or tendon. I might, next time.

Bama Samurai and jmudrick like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Local squid and famous Kampot pepper - one of the world's best -- at a place next to my hotel. Those are dragon fruit and rambutan for those unfamiliar.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Bama Samurai

Go with just adding tendon first. It's a rich addition, and you'll find little that's objectionable. Tripe can have a rubbery quality, but if you can eat squid or octupus, you might like it a lot.

AGHisBBS and DaltonGang like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Excellent. Just excellent.

PickledNorthern and jmudrick like this.
  14. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Tonight I have taken a page from burgess Meredith’s grumpy old men script. I drank my dinner.

15. DaltonGang

Rambutan, I love that. The wife and I got hooked on it, in Hawaii, years ago. We had it fresh picked, every day. Sad thing is, it's not so easy to find, around Houston. It's best when eaten fresh picked or a day old.

16. DaltonGang

I'll see if it's offered at my local Pho shop.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Went out for dinner tonight, for my birthday. I was joined by by my wife, son, Mom, Dad, and 90 year old grandmother. Had a great time and made a hog of myself. I still stuffed. Maryland steamed crabs, hand cut fries, steamed clams and crawfish. No beer this time, just sweet tea. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigMark83 and AGHisBBS like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Pulled pork sandwich at my buddy's bar at Kampot.[​IMG]

AGHisBBS and Brickman301 like this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Pan-fried pork chops over pasta with pesto sauce (made with my own home-grown basil & rosemary.)

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

@RyX got me hooked on the steaks n hot pepper sauce. Been eating the plain smoked kippers forever. Buying these darn things by the case now.

AGHisBBS likes this.