What's Going On

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sevenbark, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I have been shaving with a Merkur H.D. I love it three pass + touch up bbs. No burns no problems, was working through a sample pack finding my blade. I started with a Tech very pleased. I have also used the Super Speed but thought it was a mild shaver. I purchased a Gillette Slim and this is my second day using it and it's killing me. I do not know the money terms but it seems to be pulling the beard and not cutting. I have even switched blades thinking I may have got a bad blade, no help. I am going to let it rest three days and go back and put a Feather in it and see what happens. I have used a Merkur and a Bic 5 O'Clock, I have used the Merkur blades with success even thought they are not on the top three list, of some, any help will be appreciated. I hope this is the right forum to start this thread. :(

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Make sure the safety bars are straight and the blade has even exposure on both sides. A small drop can damage a safety razor fairly easily.

I would suggest a good thorough inspection before you try a Feather! :D

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I would suggest possibly working at your blade ANGLE to ensure it maybe is flatter against your face. Also maybe cranking the adjuster dial down to maybe a 3 or even 2. You might have it set too aggressive which might create pulling. Merkur blades IMO suck. Sorry to be blunt but they are horrible. Dont know about the bic's.

I would say if you do try another blade and it starts to drag. Pull the handle away from your face slightly which will change the blade angle and hopefully alleviate that horrible discomfort I am very well aware of;) The feathers will be alot smoother also but be careful b/c I get weepers fairly easy with them.

4. Sevenbark

Thanks going to inspect

Thanks yes I seen some negitive on the Merkur blade this morning. Setting on three both shaves. I knew things wee going to smooth, as far as the shave was conserned. I purchased this razor through a bad case of rad maybe it's ... wait I do not beleive in that any way.

5. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Good luck and let us know how it goes! Practice makes perfect;) And get rid of the merkur blades! Also check what MTgrayling mentioned and make sure your safety bar is aligned b/c it can make the shave must worse than normal. I know from personal experience also;)

6. Sevenbark

Maybe

After inspecting as I was tightening back down i realized that i did not have it at full close, it seems a littel harder to tighten down than regular tto, after things cool off I will go again. BTW I think I like Astra better than Feathers so far, I will work them one on one after I try some of the Israel made blades. If I had it to do over I would have created my own sample pack in which I did I ordered the astra seperately, I want to try some wilkison oh well just rambling.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

those things are best used as fishing weights..get SE :D

Seriously I hope that fixed your problem with it.

Fuzzy

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

didnt you have 2000 posts like a week ago??

:)

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey I broke 3000 GOOOO ME:D

Fuzzy

10. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Congratulations! That's impressive.