What's the attraction?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lionel, Dec 24, 2014.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While the Gillette "NEW" requires respect, I don't find it overly aggressive like the,to me, Muhle R41 or Merkur 37C Slant. With good technique and gentle pressure it will give you a close and irritation free shave everytime. IMO the "NEW" shave is very comparable to the Cadet OC. I've never tried one yet, buy the Parker OC, I've heard gives a milder shave than either the "NEW" or Cadet "YMMV". In any case all three are affordable and shave well. :happy088:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that there was once a far greater variety of DE razors on the market. So going vintage can (if I am correct) afford you more choices. I do know that I haven't found a modern equivalent of my long-handled Gillette Black Beauty.

Bama Samurai, dscaver, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  3. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Give me a brass based Gillette vs zamak any day. The quality is not even close.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

For the most part you are right.

Here is a link to a Russian copy of the a slim adjustable. It is about as close as I have seen to a long handle SA that is in current production.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIAN-DOU...077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4875b3f83d

5. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

There are some real beauties in that photo, LaSalle.

I have been looking at ebay for the past couple of days, but cannot determine what a fair price is to pay for an adjustable. I have put a couple on my watch list, but one that closes in a few hours is already more than what I think is "fair."

LaSalle82 and GDCarrington like this.
  6. BJV

BJV Active Member

I have a 1946 Gillette Tech, 1962 Slim Adjustable, a vintage Gillette mini travel razor, and a new Merkur Classic 1904, all of which deliver excellent results. Will today's DEs holdup as well as these (except the Merkur) vintage models? Right now, history is on the side of the older models, since they've proven their worth, and continue to do so.

BTW, has anyone tried one of these:

Pearl Heavyweight.jpg

It's a Pearl Heavyweight that I received for Christmas. Used it today, and I must admit, I like the heavy feel. It gave a DFS too.

dscaver, macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  7. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

Some of the designs , materials ,and just plain craftmenship on the vintage razors are just astounding . Look up just for fun the following ...... the Darwin razor,... Gem SE razors .... Most of the most SE razors are built like tanks (Gem Flattops are a good example Ive seen alotand I mean alot of these on ebay safaris and almost all have almost perfect chrome for a razor as old as it is ) ,

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I'm considering adding a New LC to my collection. What would a be reasonable price to pay for one in good condition/working order? $40? Can't find as much info on these as the later Gillette models

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've found mine for $10 to $25

10. LaSalle82

Thanks. That gives me a good price point. I thought since they are older and fewer available, that they would be higher. As always got to shop around.............

11. LaSalle82

Exactly how I feel about the vintage razors. 96-years old and going back to work............

NCoxSTL likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I don't know if Lionel ever really came back to look at this thread, but he has gotten a large number of excellent responses.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sadly last seen same date and time as his original post.

Jim99, macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  14. Luziana_Geezer

Well, the thread prompted me to rethink my position on vintage razors, so I decided I would bid on one — an early 60s Fat Boy — that will close late afternoon on New Years day. It is actually bid up fairly high already, so I expect it will sell for more than $100, perhaps even far more than that.

GDCarrington, swarden43 and macaronus like this.
  15. LaSalle82

Research on eBay what a particular model has been selling for in various conditions. $100+ for a Fat Boy is pretty high unless it is in pristine condition with a good case & instruction book. However, it's not unheard of for them to go that high. Unless this is a razor you really want, my suggestion is to set a price you're willing to pay $30, $40, $50, etc....., stick to it, and if the bidding goes above your price, let it go. Fat Boys and most vintage razors are like buses, there's another one coming. The quest of finding a vintage razor in great shape at a great price is a big part of the fun for me!

macaronus, clint64 and GDCarrington like this.
  16. Luziana_Geezer

Seller claims it to be NOS; bids are already higher than my preset snipe price, so I got out. I don't think I would be willing to go much higher than $75 for any razor unless it had some historical significance—like, Bill Clinton used it at the White House.

17. LaSalle82

You should be should be able to get a fantastic Fat Boy w/case, instructions and a classic blade dispenser for $75. I went and looked on eBay after I posted and there are some really nice one's on there now, check them out. For what it's worth, I bought my FB about 2-years ago (eBay) for $31.00 (free shipping). It came with in the case with a blade dispenser (no instructions). It has very little brassing. It works great, shaves even better! Scrubbing Bubbles works great on disinfecting and shinning these vintage babies up!

18. LaSalle82

PS twist to open razors can be a little sticky at first with years of soap getting into the handle. A good soak in hot water and a little dish detergent works great at loosening the mechanism up

macaronus likes this.
  19. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't want that.......never know where it'd been!

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

:happy097::happy102::rofl::rolleyes:

battle.munky likes this.