What's the Best Pre shave for electric shaver?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by marcolxvii, Jan 28, 2009.

1. marcolxvii

marcolxvii New Member

Hello everibody,
    I'd like to ask you what's the best Pre Shave for electric Shaver...........I hope to get a lot of suggestion :)

Ciao
    Marco - Roma

2. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

IMHO, a bucket of warm soapy water. Drop the electric shaver in, then throw the electric shaver and bucket in the bin.
    Then buy something decent, like a DE razor or a straight.
    No matter how much prep you have with an electric shaver you will not get a good shave imho. (Unless your prep includes shaving with a DE or a straight).

gorgo2, Spyder and crackstar like this.
  3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Marco,
    Honestly, I would suggest looking here
    http://jimelliott.suddenlaunch2.com/
    They have all the answers you need. We focus on wet shaving here and prefer the blades to the buzzers:) But everyone is different and prefers certain things so what ever works for you is the most important factor!

4. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Welcome Marco,

I've used an oldie called 'Lectric Shave and also Cool Water made one at one time. The Cool Water one was awful- it burned and didn't work well with my electric razor. I just used Lectric Shave after that. It worked much better...

5. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Wal Mart carries a nice one called Shave Secret... works very well and you only need a 2-3 drops.

6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Think they have Wal Marts in Rome?

7. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

when I was using an electric I tried remington pre-electric powder which all I found it did was clog up the razor, and some brand maybe it was williams pre-electric shave which was only useful if my face was already moisturized not particularly useful either,

In my day I tried a few electrics some of them ok others were junk regardless of price they cost that ripped the hair out instead of cutting it, you may find one that works for you and if your happy usaing it that's all that matters but you can do better for your face and skin

Give DE shaving a try, pick up a used Gillette a cheap brush and a tub of decent soap or cream and after a week you'll never use an electric again

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ciao, Marco! E molto meglio di radersi con un rasoio DE in mio parere onesto. :)

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

+1

10. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Psychoanalysis? :happy102

11. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

You can get an ok shave from an electric, provided that you spend some time with it.

1. Fresh blades, you need to change them once a year or every other year.
    2. You want your face as dry as possible. Splashing some alcohol AS into your face helps with this.
    3. You really need a good razor, consider spending at least 200 dollars on it.
    4. You need to let your face get accustomed to the electric for at least two weeks before you start seeing ok results.
    5. It takes a lot of time to get rid of all the stubble.
    6. You have to be able to cope with stubble around 3-5 o'clock, the electric can't do much better since you shave dry.

This is my experience with the most expensive model Phillips had to offer 3 years ago, so I don't think it gets much better.

Some alternatives are the "wet" shave models that let you shave in the shower, and the ones that apply a nivea balm as you shave. I haven't tried 'em, but they are probably not much better.

I personally was instantly hooked on straights as soon as I saw them, and only keep the Phillips for travel and for the beard-trimmer. Good thing is that if your face can take the straight, you won't get ingrown hairs or burn from the electric either. :D

12. Sansnom

Sansnom New Member

I actually invested in Jack Black's Pre-electric shave...it's complete crap. It has witch hazel and other soothing things but it makes you super sticky and would be much better served as a soothing aftershave.

I will say that in this instance Williams Lectric Shave is the way to go. Super cheap and rub it into your beard and it definitely stands the hair up and shaves (hehe) some time off your morning routine. That being said, I didn't use it all the time, only when I was in a hurry, because it is a little strong smelling and oddly oil/alcohol feeling (though I think it's alcohol based, when you rub it in it feels a wee bit oily). But if you don't mind the smell it's FANTASTIC at prepping you.

Also I second all of Stuggi's recs. But I like my electric b/c I can totally goof off as I shave, paying no attention to the shave. So I can get dressed and shave even though it is a little more tedious b/c I'm going over spots multiple times, at least I've never cut myself with it ;)

13. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

The second post in this thread always makes me laugh. :rofl

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Best thing for an electric razor is a garbage can.

1) Open Lid
    2) Throw electric razor in
    3) Closed lid
    4) Buy a double edge razor

15. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Kerosine works wonderfully....pour 1 pint over razor, drop match, watch it burn. After cremation, buy a DE razor, some good blades, some nice shaving soap, a brush, and get great shaves forever after. Visit the Shave School threads here at TSD to find out how.

16. Will

Will Nevermind

A dry face.

I am not kidding. If you face is wet the hair wont cut in an electric.

Also their is a preshave talc and "Lectric Shave" you can try, both help dry the face for better cutting.

17. crackstar

That is soooooooo funny! :happy102

18. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

I have to disagree. It depends on your electric razor, and your technique. Like a straight razor, there is a learning curve. A lot of electrics are junk, granted, but there are a few models that can give as good a shave as a standard commercial blade (or blades), such as the Mach 3, Fusion, etc.... I have a Remingtoin R-4 that does a better job than everything except my Dovo, and Genco straight razors. I treat myself to a hot lather, straight razor shave about once every two weeks or so. The rest of the time, I use the Remington.

As for pre-electric shaves, I read the ingredients on a bottle of Lectric Shave, and compared them to a standard after shave (Jeris Blue), and the ingtedients were almost the same, mostly alcohol and water, with a little fragrance. I tired using after shave as a pre-shave, and noticed no difference from the pre-shave. So now, I just use my favorite after-shaves, especially by beloved Clubman Osage Rub. Clubman Bay Rum works great, too.

19. crackstar

One guy I know is trying so hard to convert me to electric shaving. He was in Toronto on a business trip and he brought me back an electric razor, (a Braun) but I gave it away to my cousin as a birthday gift. There is no way I will ever get into that facial torture.

Latherman87 likes this.
  20. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

To each, his own. That's why Baskin-Robbins has 32 flavors of ice cream......

ilts likes this.