What's the best soap you've ever used and why

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LevelupShaves, Apr 24, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new to old school shaving but I have figured out that I like soaps more than creams. My favorite soap that I've tried so far is Smolder from the Blades grim. I love the way it feels smells shaves everything so far. How about you what's your favorite soap and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drawer likes this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

My best soap is Haslinger. I am currently using their coconut. The reason is twofold. First, I get a great lather that produces a very comfortable shave and great post shave feel. Second, it is affordable. Other soaps may end up coming close per use, but I am not going to even try to explain to my wife why I spent $75 on a single piece of soap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Drawer, crackstar and LOOT like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Best one I've used so far is Stirlingsoaps Barbershop. Real pleasant smell for the cold weather, and the slickness feels great.

4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I assume you are talking about Martin de Candre. I got the luxury of trying it and it IS great! It really turns out to be quite affordable because you use less than half what other soaps use since it is triple milled. It will outlast just about everything out there

Drawer, crackstar and lightcs1776 like this.
  5. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Yep, MdC. While affordable in the long run, it just won't fly in my house. As it is I get crazy looks for spending $15-$20 on a soap. However, I get what you mean by it being affordable over the life of the soap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Drawer, crackstar and RyX like this.
  6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Tabac for me. I've never tried MdC but have only heard good things. For me, Tabac smells awesome, lasts forever, leaves my skin feeling pampered, and couple the price to the longevity and it is damn near free.

Drawer, gmaugie007, crackstar and 5 others like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I know this has become cliche', but for me -Mitchell's Wool Fat wins by a nose in a dead heat with Tabac. I wanna try Haslinger though I've heard it's like Mitchell's ,but lathers like Tabac.

8. LevelupShaves

I want to Try Mitchell's or something like that I've never used a Tallow based soap

Drawer, crackstar and MR41 like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Tie between Cella and Razorock XXX. Both lather well for me now that I'm dialed in. Slight edge to Cella 'cause I like the scent.

Drawer, crackstar, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Dead heat between Tabac and Stirling, with Route 66 nipping at their heels. Actually, biting their heels ferociously.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Without a doubt, Klar. Excellent lather and produces the best glide of any soap I own. And with it's quintuple milling, it should last a very long time. And if anyone hasn't seen my threads about mentioning this soap, mine was made during the Cold War, about thirty years ago, give or take, and still out performing my other soaps.

12. LevelupShaves

Wow that's quite impressive

Drawer, crackstar and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Extra milling means less moisture (water) in the soap. The scent wasn't so great at first, but it is slowly coming back, guessing some type of sandalwood.

Drawer and crackstar like this.
  14. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

So many great choices in today's world. In my experience:

Expensive up front, but probably aren't much more expensive per-shave than my favorite less-expensives:
    MdC
    Nuavia

Less expensive up front:
    Tabac
    Barrister & Mann

15. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

And if you want "works every time and dead cheap", then it's Arko by a mile. It will never win any contests for fabulous and complex scent - it smells like an industrial lemon-scented cleaner. But it's a tallow soap that almost anybody can get to lather well. And a stick costs about a buck and will last for anywhere from three to seven months of daily use, depending on the user.

You can buy it by the 12-stick carton on Amazon.

16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

This is the golden age of wet shaving. There are honestly tons of excellent soaps.

My top tier includes barrister and mann, Stirling soap company, and catie's bubbles.

My second tier mostly isn't in the top because they don't have enough variation in scents, but they still are all amazing performers: klar, tabac, nuavia, saponificio varesino, meißner tremonia, Mickey Lee Soap works, penhaligons, Dr. Jon's.

I would give honorable mention to uncle Jon's, route 66, wholly kaw, K shave worx, L&L grooming, Mike's natural, Truefitt and Hill, and Taylor of old bond Street.

I know, I know...That's a lot. Well, guess what? I have tried hundreds of soaps...Trust me, this list is fantastic.
    Copy, paste, BUY!

Fup, Drawer, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  17. Micho-Mike

Micho-Mike Member

Wow, that is a lot of soaps! Right now I have 3 B&M tallow soaps and really enjoy them. I started with Proraso green tub, but the menthol scent does not linger after your shave. I also tried a sample of Chiseled Face, and it lathers great. Have you tried Dr. Jon's 1803 soap?

18. Paul Turner

which Chiseled Face?

19. Micho-Mike

Micho-Mike Member

It was Summer Storm. I want to try some others, but trying to get CF Rhino first.

20. Paul Turner

I haven't done any CF soaps, but want to try the Ghost Town Barber A.S. next fall.