What's the Best Value for a DE Blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dreadpirate, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The price of blades has no relevance on the price of razors. You'd have a hard time finding anyone disposing of the razors after a single shave, or a dozen shaves, on this forum.
    Folks spend anywhere from zero dollars to a few hundred dollars on razors.

2. OrdAvgGuy

OrdAvgGuy New Member

I just bought Astra SPs on Amazon, $8 for pack of 100. During the summer, I tend to shave more than just my face, so that is a great value, for me.

Issac and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

+1 on the Astra SP they're hard to beat for me.

4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

For me, the best value for a blade in any of my three razors is the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum black label. This is primarily because each blade lasts for 12-15 shaves.

Bypassing the ;) for just a moment and taking that at face value, I agree with Queen of Blades.

While it is true that many people here collect like crazy and spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on equipment, it is by their own choice. Cartridge razor users have no choice regarding the unfavorable costs as compared to safety razors and double edge blades.

For the Astra SPs on Amazon, $10.00 for a 100 blade carton is 10 cents per blade. Assuming three shaves per blade, the carton will last for about 10 months. An Edwin Jagger DE89 prices vary, but let's say a DE89L for $37.

A Gillette Fusion ProGlide handle costs about $8. For the Fusion Manual cartridges on Amazon, $27.99 for an eight cartridge pack is $3.50 a cartridge. Assuming each cartridge lasts for 5 shaves, the pack will last for about 1.3 months. The comparison with the DE89 is accurate, as both razors can be considered luxury items, especially the DE89.

In the above scenario, the safety razor and double edge blade option has paid for itself well within three months. After that point, cost savings is simply a matter of determining which great blade costs the least. Or put another way: What's the best value for a DE blade?

If someone has spent a large sum on razors, the question becomes even more relevant.

5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Sharks, are good blades for the cost.
    I also like the Asco blades too.

6. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I was getting Wilkinson Classics on drugstore for $1.30/5 and loved them. Then I picked up the Astra 100 pack for 9 something on amazon. Terrific blades and cost next to nothing.

7. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

Ok - you guys got me sold on Astra. Decent blade and cheap. Have not tried the Persona Med preps yet. I do have some Super Max Super Platinums on the way to try.