Whats the best way to try a blade/blades?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Omelmad, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hi

I have been waiting for my blade sample for a while, and with some messages between the vendor and express delivery I now have the my blade sample.

By the purchase of a blade sampler you now know that I'm a newbie to DE shaving.

In the wait for my blades I bought 5pc derby so I could get started. I'm pretty sure now that derbys give me razor bumps. And before I start testing my blades I'm gonna wait for the razor bumps to disappear.

Now to my question, I have 14 different types of blades 5pc of each as some 10pc.

Wich way is the best way of testing a blade?
    Do I use it only once? Do I use every blade 2-3 times? Do I use up the whole pack of blades of the same kind and then move on to a different type?

I know YMMV and all but I wanna know the best way to know how the skin reacts to the TYPE of blade I'm using at the time.

I'm gonna use the same soap and brush for the lather so that the performance doesn't vary because if the soap. My skin likes Proraso red as it's easy to get a good lather, so I think I'm gonna go with that =)

I know it's a lot of words to read above but I need help before I start my journey to get it right

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I would suggest using each blade at least 2 or 3 times unless it is obviously tearing your face up. Some blades have a coating that takes a shave or 2 to wear off and often the first shave is not the best. And of course if you have more than one razor be sure to try every blade in each razor. Sometimes what doesn't work in a particular razor works great in another.

Misphit likes this.
  3. Omelmad

I'm lucky because I have only one razor =P I hade the Muhle r89.

I will use every blade 2 times. That is reasonable I think. But how about the same type of blade in consecutive shaves? Is that a good way to try it or should I use 2 blades of each so that I can try them again when my technique has improved. I can always buy a new sample pack later, this part of shaving I don't wanna save money on =P I wanna experiment and find the right blade/blades

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, the order you try them in does not matter. All blades are sharp and there is no such thing as a mild or aggressive blade.
    That said, you may find some blades smoother than others, but only your face can tell you what's working and what's not.

Then follow the advice of @cmorris357 above.

angrygio698 likes this.
  5. KingColliwog

KingColliwog New Member

Get good technique with one blade that isn't too harsh on your skin (try astra, rarely heard of someone finding them horrible). Once your technique is good enough, use one blade for a few shaves, then switch to another brand and so on and so forth until you fund a few that you like. Then alternate between those to get your favorite.

6. Omelmad

The funny thing is that I'm learning how to shave with a DE razor while testing different blades. So I won't be giving the first blades a fair chance hahaha

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You're exactly right there. If a blade doesn't seem to work for you now, put the rest of that pack away and try them again later.

8. Omelmad

When I shave with a derby blade I always get razor bumps 36-48 hours later. This has been a factor that makes the learning curve a lot longer.

That's why I'm asking what's the best way to try blades. I wanna isolate the factors that gives irritation and bumps. I know some of it is due to poor technique.

Yesterday I used the first blade from the sampler.

I started with the Astra SP. It felt smoother and sharper than the derbys. Now I just have to wait to see if I get razor bumps, I'm afraid to shave until it's confirmed that I got bumps or if I didn't.

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I am still zeroing in on the best blade for me. When I start with a type/brand of blade, I try to use the entire box of 5 before I switch. That gives me at least 15 shaves to evaluate how it works. This amount of time also has the benefit of my technique continuing to improve. With that said, as my technique has gotten more consistent (CCS every time) I won't hesitate to try a single blade for 3 or 4 shave and then move on to the next box or next blade.
    I did not try a Derby blade for about 2 months after I started DE shaving. Shockingly, Derby Extras work very well for me. So do Wilkinson Sword blades. So do Astra blades. While it is fun and sort of exciting to try all the different blades, for my face, it seems like technique is the most important factor in how well a blade performs. I've only found a few no-name type blades that didn't work well.
    Good luck and let us know how the blade journey works for you.

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Omelmad

There is many different ways to do this.

The approach I'm contemplating is to use 1 blade 2-3 times. And go through all types of blades in my sampler. This way I will use the different blades and get a first "impression" of the blade.

I have 14 different blades, so I will shave between 28-42 times. Hopefully this will give me some technique and practice. And then I will do what you do and take one pack of type/brand and finish them off and go on to the next one. That way I THINK I give them a fair chance.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Derby's didn't seem very sharp to me either. That lack of sharpness can cause you to use pressure to pull the blade through your whiskers and pressure is the enemy.

What are you using for after shave? If it's alum or an alcohol containing splash, it can tell you a lot. If you feel burning when you apply one of those, you're probably using pressure. So next time you shave, concentrate on using less pressure. It's completely counterintuitive but less pressure will still give you a very close shave, just without the irritation.

Omelmad likes this.
  12. Omelmad

I'm gonna do that. I probably use to much pressure =P I'm working on that too =)

13. BadgerMan

BadgerMan Member

14. toidbb

toidbb Member

As for the razor bumps, I am surprised that it takes that long for them to show up for you. What is your Aftershave routine like? Maybe there is something can help reduce or have those not come up at all. For me if I get razor bumps, they show up within an hour of shaving...

15. Omelmad

I think it's weird too =P I can get a great shave and at the end of the next day or the day after that I will have an outbreak of razor bumps.

I use l'oreal aftershave balm after I shave. I apply generously hahaha. And now that I have noticed that I get bumps the day after or so I have started to use my aftershave 1-2 days after the shave aswell as an effort to prevent the outbreak =P

16. Omelmad

Interesting read =) thank you but I don't know if that's gonna be the way I approach this. But the part with 2 bad shaves with the same type is very smart. It can be a "daahh" I have done that with 2 blades already.

Topaz
    Super max stainless(but it's not the same as the super max stainless in my sample pack)

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Pick one and shave. Use it until it starts to tug. Keep a journal.

18. RaZorBurn123

Pick anyone and shave. Use it until it starts to tug. Keep the wrappers, but the best one on top, and so on.

19. Omelmad

But the best one on top? You kost me there =P

20. RaZorBurn123

Ok. You keep the wrappers of the blades. You keep them in order of likability.