What's the significance of the Mühle numbering?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Dec 9, 2017.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Hi there folks. I've noticed there are the Mühle R106: R91; R89 and the R41 among others. Does anyone know the significance of the numbers.

canoeroller and Keithmax like this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I would email Mühle.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

3. dangermouse

I intend to but wondered if anyone on here had already done so, at some point. I'll let everyone know what they say.

RyX and Eeyore like this.
  4. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

They are not the only razor manufacturer that does that.
    It's the model of the head and handle. Just like coffee pots, and automobile's etc every thing has a model number.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

dangermouse likes this.
  5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

That's how many cents it costs them to manufacture those zamak heads and slippery handles.

dangermouse likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My guess, the R89 is a copy of the DE89 head, as is the R106 with a different handle. Not sure of the R91 and the R41 is their design for the head.

dangermouse likes this.
  7. dangermouse

So nothing really of any much significance then. I was looking to see if it was anything obvious but couldn't spot anything. Has anyone tried the Rocca? It seems a good price for a stainless razor.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Muhle only has two heads. 89 type and 41 type. If you look closely at three piece razors, there are basically only three designs in mass production. Muhle 89, Merkur, and Tech. 90% of "modern production razors" are cloned geometry imitations of these three heads. Don't tell people this though, it's fun to watch vets buy the same geometry over and over and over again, and assign each one a wildly different review. Shhhhhh.... ;)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    mariusgm, canoeroller, RyX and 4 others like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

So true............

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Use the search ;)

IOW ... I don't know right now what URL my review is at (might even be on a different forum).