What's up with Cart users?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by subvet, Jun 7, 2016.

1. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Clearly we cartridge users are doing something, a lot of things, wrong. Just look at the "Help needed" threads on the DE and SE Forums and how few we have here, somethings must be wrong. Could it be that we've been there and done that before we realized we get as good a shave from a cart with a lot less hassle?

2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I suppose that could be. DE/SE shaving is not as simple or as quick as shaving with a cartridge razor and a can of gel, foam, whatever. If you're looking for simple and quick a cartridge razor is the way to go. But, I personally never got a comfortable shave from a cartridge razor. My neck was always sore and I always had problems with ingrown hairs and pimples. Once I figured out (note I didn't say "mastered") the technique of using a DE or SE razor, I found the shaves more comfortable. Not simpler or quicker, mind you, just more comfortable and more enjoyable...better IMHO. But then that's just what works for me.

brit, preidy, MPF9 and 9 others like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

What's up with microwave users?
    Clearly we microwave users are doing something, a lot of things, wrong. Just look at the "Help needed" threads on the traditional cooking Forums and how few we have here, somethings must be wrong. Could it be that we've been there and done that before we realized we get as good a meal from a microwave with a lot less hassle?

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My experience to a T.

5. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I hated carts until a friend on this forum told me about the Gillette Guard, from India. Now the only two razors I use are the Merkur Progress and the Gillette Guard. The Guards price is so low I give them to my friends that use disposables and carts. I have given one Progress, as a Grad gift, and at least ten Guards.
    Yes, the carts take less hand holding, the DE & SE much more and the straight razor needs an artist, but they all have their place.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  6. whaap

whaap Active Member

The problem I was always having with my cartridge razors was 'plugging up' with hairs and being able to rinse them out easily.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

What's up with airline food?

brit, PickledNorthern, Metro and 6 others like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

What's up with cars you have to drive versus self driving and and those manual transmissions versus automatics?

Sheesh!

9. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

Cartridge, electric, de, straight, I have some of each. I like them all too. For a quick good shave, the cartridge can't be beat. Also, I have been using carts for many years, I pretty much have them mastered. For a quick fair shave, the electric can' t be beat. For the best, most comfortable shave, the best I have had is from a de. The cart is pretty much as close but with a little more irritation than I can get with a de. The straight, well, I have only yet tried it on my cheeks. It's kind of scary. All in all, like them all, for now, for me, the de is the most fun.

10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

They have food?

11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I used to tap/bang mine on the edge of the sink.

danbuter, Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

What airline food?

EnglishChannel and Carbide Mike like this.
  13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Some are definitely better than others but I've yet to use a truly bad cart or gotten a truly bad cart shave. Technique trumps tool. Sorry to those who passionately hate carts just because they're not DEs, SEs or straights.

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

An old toothbrush and running water clears out any cart.

LSUfanBR and Carbide Mike like this.
  16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Carts have their place. But the reasons for using one are different from the reasons for shaving with a DE/SE/SR or anything else you choose. :angelic007:

Carbide Mike, macaronus and gorgo2 like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

To each their own. My problem was with ingrown hairs, with carts I never could solve this problem. Shaving may have been quick but the results were painful and ugly. If you do not have this problem then carts can the right solution for you. My ingrown hair problem is gone now, so even though it takes longer it is worth it for me.

If you can get a good shave with out hassle then you are doing something right. I use DE, SE and straights now with great results. If carts work for you then congratulations.

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think you are looking for "that other forum". Don't really think I've seen that here.

19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Bic Hybrid's actually gave me good shaves and a lot cheaper than any Gillette Mach blade. Also comes with new handles in every pack. 71jT7Il9wJL._SY679_.jpg

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You're right; it was just a general statement for cart-hating lurkers.