What's up with the "Brotherhood of..." and "Member of the so and so" and all that?

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Joe Nobles, May 21, 2018.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

On most of them shave forums I noticed there is all these different "organizations" or "associations" that are listed and tacked to the bottom of the post. What's up with that? They sound cool but what do they mean, and how does one go about getting involved so that they can be a part of the goings on?

I would like to know what I can.

Paul76, Herm2502, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Shave Den does not endorse these organizations. As long as folks are having fun, sharing information, and engaging in discussion in a friendly manner they seem to have no end. Do you like a particular brand and model of razor? Start a club! Like to shave with distilled water, or prefer straight from the creek? There's probably others that will either approve, or with good natured humor - visit your discussion to poke fun.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Well, the 30 day focus groups tend to be anal retentive and overanalyzing.
    The cold water shavers are a bit "off," if you know what I mean...they are a few fries short of a happy meal.
    The straight razor shavers are all demon barber of fleet street wannabe's.

The traditional wet shavers are the absolute worst. They will tell you how much money you can save wet shaving...but by the time you realize that by joining a forum, you have set the hook for turning this into a hobby.

Hobbies, by definition, are expensive.

Edit: click on the link in the signatures and start posting in the threads...that's how you join.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Mostly groups of guys with similar interest. If you have that interest jump in and start posting.....unless it's the soap bloomers. Those guys are just strange... And like @PLANofMAN said the cold water shaving folks have a lug nut or two missing.....just saying.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :angry019:

6. Joe Nobles

Cool, I have a particular angle too I absolutely love to use my all SS Rapira Platinum Lux with the blades by the same name. I'm kinda twisted-up with using stuff from the FSU (that is the Former Soviet Union), it started with photo stuff but has spilled over in to a couple of my other hobbies, like razors, pocketwatches, stamps & coins.

I have a large and ever growing collection of stuff from the FSU. So maybe a Russian Razor User group could be cobbled together?
    Ya never know.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's OK Joseph. I'm proud to be labeled strange or weird. I know where my lug nuts and pommes de terre frites are, too.

Please do! I've seen a few of the aforementioned Ruskie SR and DE razors pictured in SOTD. There are sure to be soaps and aftershaves to be discovered and documented. Gathering the info in one place is an aid to anyone curious.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A splintering-up into different segments per a particular 'subculture' or interest within forums.
    I personally have never been keen on the abundance of these sub-groups. They have a tendency to fragment the forum membership and can create MANY duplicate postings across a number of threads.

9. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

IMO, its just something silly that people like to do.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

There are twenty six forums and thirteen sub-forums divided across six categories. SOTD would become near unreadable if all the discussion of the boards happened in that one thread. Fortunately we do have that once per month refreshed conversation to bring everyone together. I've occasionally posted a Menthol Monday, Open Comb, 30 Day, Inspired Shave, Of The Day and find it somewhere between satisfying comradeship & fatiguing trying to keep up with the subgroups.

11. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

There happen to be scared, soft weasels that are afraid of a straigth razor and cold water. Yet, though not willing to make a few sacrifices for a real smooth shave, they want to belong to the cool guus. Hence, to distinct themselves the real shavers made a club,....

Ps, cold water and shaving soap serve the same purpose, they are making the whiskers stand stiff to be cut instead off making the whiskers fold away easily as hot water, oil and an acid environment do.

SevenEighth, Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Well, it's like this; There are "normal" folks who enjoy the forum, but also have regular lives and families, and are somewhat in touch with reality. Then, there are folks who live in their parents basement/garage apartment/whatever, who exist in little subcultures on the internet, and never take a bath. Those are the "guys" you're asking about, (and probably should avoid) the only actual people who have ever seen them is the pizza delivery guy, and he has to go to regular counselling in order to survive what he's seen. Beware!!!

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

One of my titles is just that...silly. (Gillette Repeating Razor...so written because I keep repeating with the same razor each day. Silly, huh? :)

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You know, this is my very best friend and he has yet to seek out counseling. At least as far as I know.
    iu.jpeg
    Now excuse me while I go back down to my basement to troll the interweb (
    sic)

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I was the founding and sole member of FLIMNAAAC: the Frugal League of Irritable Misanthropes, Ne'er-Do-Wells and All-Around Antisocial Cheapskates, which refuses to join any club, but then decided I didn't want to be a member of any club that would allow me to be a member, so I quit. Ironically, I guess that proves I'm still a member.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    wristwatchb, Paul76, Herm2502 and 6 others like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Them's fightin' words, parson!

[​IMG]

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I go tomorrow to get a tire lug nut retorqued. I'll reach the mileage number for it(they said come back in 50 miles).

18. Joe Nobles

Well I'll take point, for all what it's worth.
    Рапира/Rapira et.al shall hence forth have a faithful and loyal band of devotees. The name of this August body shall be known as the Soviet Super Shavers.

I'll begin the thread later on.

All in favor rattle your Rapiras!

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'll be watching for your thread. I've used several Russian DE blades but no razors. I have an Italian OC, A German slant, a German designed Chinese clone...but no Russian DE's. Yet.

20. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I love my Voskhods! I had a Lux once too. Super simple but apt razor.