What's your best budget cream?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Rusty blade, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

well, congrats for that.

White731 likes this.
  2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Proraso is the only one that comes to mind. Not a cream sort of guy usually but can appreciate it sometimes.

3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Got Proraso Blue cream and Green preshave for about 120 KR including delivery off eBay.

tuxxdk likes this.
  4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Proraso blue is a great budget cream as is Nivea.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I don't use a ton of creams, but the first one that pops into my head is our own Shave Den creams. At nine bucks for four ounces, it is a super deal. Need to order wisely in order to average out shipping costs, but a great deal.

Another favorite of sorts is Speick, which isn't bargain basement priced, but not expensive either.

Paul Turner likes this.
  6. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I'm new to DE shaving but I already have more than few razors and waiting on some more to arrive, lol I think I'm getting hooked but shaving has never been more fun, before I could of gone almost 2 weeks without shaving and that's because to me it felt like a chore that I hated. Well now I shave every night lol, and I'm trying out blade sample, too bad cant shave every night with the Feather with an aggressive setting #6 on the Rockwell 6s, its like I jump from Feather to Derby and then From Persona to Astra and the to the sharks, waiting on all the ruskies brands to come in and give them a test run.

Back on topic, since I read all this about the creams I did some research and decided to try out 2 types of which should bring memories of my father scent after his shaves. I ended up ordering 2 Palmolive Classic and 2 Old Spice Original creams from ebay for $17 total, I think that's a fair price for 4 tubes, only down fall is they are being shipped from Germany and India.

Since I'm such a sucker for Old Spice vintage I think I'm going to try the one from India since it should smell same as Shulton one just a tad bit more stronger scent. In all honesty I have used the old Shulton before back in the 90's, and the one that's made here in US is not the Original but Classic scent. I can honestly say yes there is a difference in the fragrance but yet they are also so much alike AKA very similar, and the strength of the scent of the US Classic one is pretty strong and can last up to 7-8 hours. So I cant bash the US scent since I have like 5 bottles 6.37 Oz per bottle, it means I like them good enough to buy 5 of them at once, and another 5 body washes with the same scent lol but I'm considering ordering the one from India just to refresh my memories of how it used to smell, gotta have both :)

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The no longer available Rilanja :( or Nivea Mild...

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. NJDJ

NJDJ Member

Proraso is a good one.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Hands down Nivea Sensitive. $3.99 and available in stores.............

160207.jpe

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

The La Toja classic was a very nice cream. Scent wasn't anything to write home about, but it was not unpleasant. Nice slick cream. I would also add Proraso blue to the list even though it is more than $10 in price.

11. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I tried Kiss my Face mint today and loved it. Great lather, scent and protection. Highly recommended.
    [​IMG]

jeraldgordon, Robyflexx and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That is the same stuff as The Body Shop's Maca Root Shave Cream...more or less, as both are made by Creightons in England. Real Shave Cream Co. is their 'house' brand. I think Maca Root has the better scent, though neither are a great scent. Either one is a good introduction to English Shave creams, which are among the best in the world.

jeraldgordon and Robyflexx like this.
  13. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I always preferred the Macca Root; I never imagined it was the same stuff.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. Shaveathon

Shaveathon Member

Nivea is an excellent cream and has great slickness, although that may be due to the dimethicone that's added. You can get it for $1.99 a tube when Stop and Shop has it on sale and for even less if you have the occasional Nivea coupon that comes with the Sunday newspapers or the weekly marketing circulars.

As someone mentioned, La Toja is very good, too. Tabac shaving cream is excellent, too, although the only time it can be called a budget cream is when Perfumania has it in stock and offers their fantastic discount codes that stack with free shipping.
    One of my favorites is Palmolive Menthol shaving cream. I have all three flavors of Old Spice shaving cream on order and I can't wait to try those.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    LaSalle82 and Robyflexx like this.
  15. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

lea shave soap.

jsw41 and Robyflexx like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's not exactly the same stuff, but it pretty much lathers the same, has the same feel, and same post shave skin care feel.

dangermouse and Robyflexx like this.
  17. NJDJ

NJDJ Member

I guess Proraso, if you have to stay under $10. That said, spend just a little more and go for TOBS.

18. OS Mariner

OS Mariner Member

and @TheManWithNoName , I did some searching at Indian grocery stores today and scored two 70gram tubes of this stuff for $2.99 each. Though when I got it home, I took a sniff, and was caught offguard by the soapy smell. Is this what you have noticed @gregkw1 ? The tubes I bought say made by P&G in India, not Shulton like I thought would have been the case. Anyway, will give them it a whirl soon.

19. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

It has a hint of the Old Spice but nothing great it is a very nice performer and lathers well. But you're right it has a slight soapy smell to it the only reason I bought it is because it fits the dispenser perfectly

OS Mariner likes this.
  20. Crawldawg

Crawldawg Active Member

Got my Tabac cream for $10. Wonderful shave, the scent is an aquired one. The wife askes me who I been hugging up on at work. However, mostly use Palmolive or C.O. Bigalow.

OS Mariner likes this.