What's your daily driver? (Pen or Pencil)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Bookworm, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I just received an order from pens-n-more (off of ebay, but they have a web site - https://www.pensnmore.com/products/...-pens-medium-point-assorted-colors-pack-of-12 ).

Basically, it's a set of universal magnum ink cartridges in a variety of colours (pitched as being for Lamy, but from what I can see, it's better for Parker), and a set of disposable fountain pens.

The pens seem to work just fine, and for about a buck apiece, fair value. Not sure why the Orange and Yellow are included, because you really can't see them on paper. Unfortunately, their section construction is more like a Foray pen, or some of the cheaper fountain pens available online, because you can't pull the section out. They've heated and compressed the tube in front of the gill section.

I may PIF a couple of the pens just so people here can try them.
    39a7712e-29a2-4222-b598-687953b5c09f_large.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    gorgo2 likes this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Possible highlighter use?

FWIW, I have the same pack with all blue ink which I got off Amazon. The pens are .... meh... they write nicely (and a little wet) once they get started. But, the ink flow isn't right on any of them in that they dry up from one word to the next. And it's worse, of course, if they've sat for a while. I suspect that the nib is too tight to the feed, but I haven't played with it. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. Bookworm

Interesting. I wrote with each one, and only the black took a moment to start. I guess we'll see.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Maybe I got a bad batch.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've used 51s, but something about how the 21 writes appeals more to me.

Now If I could ever get my old cobalt blue Esterbrook to write, that would be fun. SMOOTH writing, the brief time it worked for me.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Co-worker swears by them. They write fine but I did a side-by-side with hers and my 21. The 21 won.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Mine are still holding up fine!

8. Bookworm

Have you thought about sending it off to Richard Binder, and paying to have it fully restored? I mean, it might only need a new sac, but that way you get everything done.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ya those can get tough to be get consistent...

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good idea.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Fine black [​IMG]

wristwatchb and Bookworm like this.
  12. Bookworm

That looks like a very well loved Parker I.M. Obviously a daily driver :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

I do like the Zebra 301 Fine black as well. I stocked and issued those to my warehouse people for their pockets. But for me, it's the old Parker. Strangely, one of the best features of the Parker is the pocket clip. Strong, yet flexible enough for overall pockets.

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. Bookworm

I have ... a bunch of Parkers around - Jotters, Vectors, 21, and 51, to name a few. I don't believe I've managed to break a clip yet - even on the one where the cap separated. (cracked _around_ the barrel of the cap. I need to get some really good epoxy for it. I don't care if it's ugly. I've had it 33 years now, and it still writes fine. I'm keeping it.)

I don't know that I have any of the I.M.s though.

Only Zebra I have is a fountain pen. I bought two, but I managed to mash up the fiber wick on one. (I know it's somewhere on my desk here).

edit - I lied. I just found a Zebra F-301 BP in one of my pen cans.

15. Bama Samurai

For cheaper pens, the F301s aren't shabby, and they have a clean industrial look.

16. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Richard only does repairs at shows these days. I often recommend Danny Fudge. He is quick, reliable and approachable.

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I recently stopped into see a jeweler friend of mine. He runs a pawn and gun. I needed some jewelry repaired. While waiting to speak with him, I noticed a sign promoting pens and pencils made from local grown wood.
    I should have taken a pic (will when i return).
    Idk where the guts are made but the wooden shafts are manufactured locally from locally grown wood. I thought they were beautiful and elegant. Do many people do this?

18. Bookworm

Yes, a lot of them do. In fact, most of the hobby wood stores offer 'pen kits' so you can turn your own pens.

19. Bookworm

Your information is probably more recent than mine. I need to determine to whom to send a couple of Sheaffers.

20. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Danny. He's one of the good ones.