When in doubt, its a BOSTONIAN

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dougr, Jan 14, 2011.

1. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

For the past several days I have been participating in a discussion about identifying razors and whether they are Bostonian's or Aristocrats. It was both a learning experience and a lot of fun; I learned a lot and it is still confusing. Thus, off we go on an adventure and your comments are invited along with pictures.

Below are two pictures of my Red and Black cased "Bostonian's" and two more with one in silver, no case, and a Gold cased. Remember those games where you spot the differences?

Finally, I have invited IAmTheJody's to join in on the fun as he is our resident expert (so far) or until Mr-razor shows up. And, who knows; maybe Jody will become our Mississippi Mr-Razor:happy088

Attached Files:

2. aberneth

aberneth Member

I've always fancied a bostonian in a purple-lined case. They're some of the prettiest razors ever made, second (in my opinion) only to the barber-pole handled rhodium aristocrats.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I love New-Improved razors. The Bostonian with the metal case that lifts the razor to present it when you open the case has to be one of the coolest packages I am aware of.
    [​IMG]

I was under the impression that the NEW Bostonians came in a blue case, not the standard "Red and Black" case.

edit: The New Standard also shouldn't be called a Bostonian, even though the razor is the same as the one in the New Improved Bostonian set.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Thanks for the kind words. It'll take me a long time to ever have the knowledge that Achim, aka mr-razor, or Len, aka Oldguy, has. And they do drop in from time to time here at TSD. Most of the pictures I use are Achim's from his web site and all collectors are very grateful and thankful for his valuable resource.

On to your razors.. technically, those 3 Red and Black sets aren't Bostonians because Gillette didn't call them Bostonians. On my shipper box for my Red and Black set, they are specifically called "RED AND BLACK Forty-nine Cent SPECIAL". Additionally, the Red And Black razor handles have different knurling bands than the Bostonian. But in terms of technical design, they are the same exact razor.. just different "clothes".

Here's all of the sets called "Bostonian" by Gillette (or at least all that I know of)...

1920s (exact same razor as the 1920s Richwood, Algonquin, Chippendale, New Standard, Traveler and Aristocrat):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1930s (exact same razor as the 1940s made-in-Canada Gold Special and the 1940s made-in-USA Blue-Gold Special)
    [​IMG]

While the Red And Black looks very similar to the 1930s Bostonian, again the difference is the handle knurling bands placement.

There is also another version of the Red And Black, also from the 1930s. It's the Red And Black DeLuxe as seen below. It has the DeLuxe comb guard instead of the NEW comb guard (see how the bottom of the comb guard is totally flat across the bottom of it?).

[​IMG]

preidy likes this.
  5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have seen a lot of Red and Black sets with the Bostonian style knurling. Here is another version of the Red and Black set. At first I thought it was a mix up, but I have seen 8 of these now in the red and black packaging.
    [​IMG]

more information here. and here

6. IAmTheJody

I had forgotten about that one. It has the larger version of the 1920s Milady Decolletee and the 1920s Tuckaway handle with a NEW head.

There's also what I call the "mini-1930s-Bostonian" Tuckaway sets in the Somerset and the Norfolk:

The Norfolk Tuckaway:
    [​IMG]

The Somerset Tuckaway:
    This picture is way too large so go here to view

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:) The picture of the Somerset that was too big is actually mine. :)

The neck on the long Tuckaway style Red and Black is different than the standard NEW or the Tuckaway/Milady too.

8. IAmTheJody

I'm slow and didn't put 2 and 2 together when I saw your name on the picture. lol

9. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Don't worry... I won't bring him again. How Funny

10. IAmTheJody

haha! Took me a second to figure out what you were talking about.. the man in the advertisement. Yeah, funny how shaving was high-falootin' (sp?) back then.

11. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I find the Open Comb New to be on the aggressive side to shave with but love the weight, size, and knurling to be outstanding during a shave.

12. IAmTheJody

You just need to toughen up that skin! :happy102

13. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thin skinned, huh..........:happy097

14. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Jody, look closely at the knurling on all three of my Red and Blacks...."While the Red And Black looks very similar to the 1930s Bostonian, again the difference is the handle knurling bands placement"......They all have the same knurling pattern as the 1930 Bostonian? Doug

15. IAmTheJody

Right but here's what they should be/look like..

[​IMG]

One could say all 3 of yours are mismatch - 3 Bostonians in 3 Red And Black cases - but I'm thinking that's how they were sold because you've got not 1 or 2, but 3 like that. Gillette was known for mixing parts or trying to use up older parts before using the new parts. And since I believe yours were sold like that, as "RED AND BLACK Forty-nine Cent SPECIAL" sets, then technically they aren't "Bostonian" razors even though they are the same razor down to the knurling pattern.

16. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Nice pictures several post ago, Jody, yours are bright and shiney razors and cases. I need to find a Tuckaway razor to go in the gold metal case that I have that came with the wrong razor in it.

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have seen FAR more of the red and black sets without the band in the knurling shown on mr-razors. I am certain it the case was used with several designs. Here is an advertisement from mr-razor's site with the Red and Black set with the knurling that you referred to as Bostonian knurling.
    Here is a Red and Black DeLuxe, which has the knurling you showed.

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

:happy096Rodd..................Great research Dick Tracy and thanks for the posts and ads. I noticed that one of these was dated by Mr Razor as 2011 for publication (original of course 1934). So, I guess the case makes the razor..........

19. virtualkelly

virtualkelly New Member

I too have a Red and Black with the "Bostonian" style handle. The Red and Black packaging seemed to serve Gillette well in terms of budget-minded folks of the early to mid 1930's. It seemed largely designed to market the Blue Blade more than the razor, as most all marketing went in this entry-level direction. It's typical of Gillette. It was a highly successful $1 package.

I prefer the full "Bostonian" look. Evidently, so did the public as it continued on.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  20. The Daily Blade

The Daily Blade Active Member

OK, time to add to the confusion. Just picked this guy up and after digging around, visiting mr razor and etc, I am confused. Lets start with the weight. This razor weighs exactly 52g. Looking at Mr. Razor, I see only 2 razors like this that weight 5g, the 1934? Black & Red and the 1933 Exposition. I see a lot of discussion about the handle knurling and the one I have appears to be like the Exposition model shown and NOT like that shown on the Black & Red. Maybe a Blue Gold Special? Or???? Any help is appreciated.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]