When "new old stock" really is new, old stock - 1949 Executive

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Mar 31, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

As some of you know, I've been trying to get out of collecting but it hasn't been easy. Not because of my own will-power - although there is a part of me that hasn't wanted to - but because people willing to pay certain prices, are few. That's the downside to collecting rare or flawless or "new old stock"... when you try to sell later on, there aren't that many buyers with deep pockets. I've had my whole collection up for sale, with notices throughout the different shaving forums, since December and have sold only 8 pieces in that time. This has brought me to the conclusion that getting out just isn't an option unless I want to lose money and still be stuck with some razors in my collection.

One of the razors I did sell and hated to do so, was my Gillette Executive (seen here). Thankfully it hasn't been so long ago as with that money, I was able to win this yesterday on eBay - my latest acquisition:

The 1949 Gillette Executive - Gillette's only fully rhodium-plated razor made and sold in the USA. This set is truly New Old Stock (NOS). From the sealed blades to the tissue paper to the shipper box to the tag letting the owner know there are more blades behind the mirror... These were only made and sold in 1949 and 1950. The 1949 set came with a cream colored blade dispenser while the 1950 set came with a blue colored blade dispenser. As you can see from the photos below, this is a 1949 set.

(I'll use the eBay listing's photos since they are good quality. I'll post a few of my own photos once this arrives to me, according to the tracking, Monday.)

2.jpg

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

2. IAmTheJody

Additional photos from the eBay listing:

11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg

3. IAmTheJody

1949 Magazine advertisement featuring the Gillette Executive:

15.jpg

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Another good-un Jody. Stunning, actually.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent acquisition! :happy088:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Amazing Jody! It is beautiful.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Stunning, very nice

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I always wonder about the story behind how the razors and blades and things become NOS. How did they get left behind unused, unopened? That is a beautiful razor set.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

I think for the ones that really are never used, it's a case of receiving it as a gift at some point... an unwanted gift for whatever reason. Maybe the person had one of those new fangled electric razors and couldn't fathom ever using a razor again. Maybe the person already had the same razor, or one they already preferred. If these old things could talk... Collectors look at them now as mechanical wonders, functional art or an extension of the best shave there is. Back then, it was just a tool to get hair off of the face. Although I have often wondered if someone was sitting around in, say, 1949 collecting the old Kampfe Brothers single edge wedge razors made in the 1800s and if that person was, did he look at them as functional art the way we look at razors made in 1949? This is why we do what we do...

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  10. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

11. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Wow!!! Verymuchnice. Will you shave with it?

12. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great addition to your den.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

Nope. This one is NOS and will stay that way. It's going in the display cabinet. :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good call. Great score!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Frickin' gorgeous

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. Awesome. I'm glad you got it, because I might be tempted to use it...

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. razorx

razorx Member

That's a keeper , very nice !

IAmTheJody likes this.
  18. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Glad you got a replacement quickly and thanks for keeping us up to date on your Executive activites. I own a Gillette Executive but it is not NOS although the razor is virtually, if not literally, flawless. The ivory blade dispenser contains only one of the original ten blades and I have shaved with the razor once. So, I would say the it has been used a minimum of ten times. I have the cardboard shipper but not the instructions. I have considered selling it but as of now I'm going to hang on to it. If I sold it I would probably have seller's remorse for the rest of my life:(. Looking forward to seeing the photos of your new acquisition.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. IAmTheJody

Having been there with seller's remorse... unless you just have to, don't sell it. They don't come around often, especially the 1949 set.

GDCarrington and Conrad1959 like this.
  20. IAmTheJody

This beauty has arrived. I'll take pics sometime today or tomorrow and share. Truly an awesome, New Old Stock 1949 Executive. I'm in collector's nirvana right now. :happy093:

GDCarrington likes this.