When razor lots goes bad

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Buying a lot/heap of razors at the same time in an auction can be really fun - and sometimes even a bit rewarding. I've bought some larger razor-clusters in the past and have had a great time cleaning them up and putting them to use. Sometimes there's even a hidden gem or two.

Then again, sometimes, you get what you pay for - or less.

Long story less long.
    Bought a lot. Came like this:
    [​IMG]

Bakelite case was shattered:
    [​IMG]

I paid about $20-25 incl shipping for the lot and ended up getting a 50% refund and to keep the razors.

So, for about $10-11 all included I ended up with this (two cases not shown):
    [​IMG]

The prices are what I personally think these are worth and/or what I could get if selling them.
    So, if I'm correct at least I could get my money back. Maybe even make a two-three dollar profit.

The Adelene looks the best and if I can figure out how to open it w/out slicing my fingers on that blade it would be fun to give it a try as I think there's a mod out there for how to use this razor.
    [​IMG]

The Hero - which was the razor that I most wanted - turned out to have been in some joker's hands who decided to screw the head on to the handle using a bolt. Sigh.
    [​IMG]

There were a couple of randoms like the Star and the GEM that looks ok as fair usergrade razors:[​IMG]

At the end of the day most of them did end up going to razor heaven...also known as one of my two boxes of undesirables:
    [​IMG]

I guess neither is all that glimmers gold - nor is every razor lot a treasure trove.

RaZorBurn123, Bama Samurai and gorgo2 like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've seen the original and modern versions of that curvy brass Trac II handle go for north of $20 so I'd say you pretty much broke even right there.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Were the straights any good?

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, yeah had it been in great condition maybe - but it has some scratches and plate loss. I'm thinking maybe $5 on a good day :)

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh in the box?
    One is a shavette that tried to kill me. Terrible handle as well which made it hard to hold correctly. Sanguine R5.
    The other one I have actually just left in the box. It's in pretty decent shape just doesn't excite me enough to spend $40-50 on it to get it cleaned and honed :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Personally, I'd steel wool and Barkeeper's Friend the remaining plating, get it down to raw brass, then polish it. Good as new.

Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Not a bad plan really. I think it's an Old Spice Trac II handle btw.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Those typically are the ones I've seen go high but if it's in that bad of shape, stripping it won't matter.

Hang on, did you get the rounded one from your new lot and had the squared off one is in the box? Or are they the same one?

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The trac ii? Same one in the box, different angle maybe

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

11. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

Want to get rid of the star or gem? Pm me

12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

That brass Trac II will have Old Spice on the right side if it's the real deal. I've got a NOS one in a set, and checked it out.

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's a Barbershoppe handle. You also see Schick Trac II's in Barbershoppe branded boxes, as well as ceramic Barbershoppe razor and brush holders and mugs.

Darkbulb and GDCarrington like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Questions:

1. What are the two DEs, the black hand le and the white/red? Just curious. I kinda like that black handle.

2. Is that Techmatic cart sealed? Now that I've figured out how to shave with one, that's what I use for my work razor so...if you don't need it I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.

15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've got a straight that looks exactly like the bone handled one in the box.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm 100% sure that they'll be up for sale end of the year :)

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

1) Good eye - that red-white one is actually a rather rare CAVA razor in bakelite...unfortunately the seller shipped it in a such a way that the safety bar broke in pieces and is now..well, junk. The black one is a generic, no-name OC razor with a bakelite handle.

2) The Techmatic cart is indeed sealed. The tear-strip on the back is unbroken and the rest of the case is secured as well.

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think it was a rather common design back in the days.
    Mine says, on the tang "Anchor Brand, Made in Germany" on one side... and "Manganese Steel" on the other.

19. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

Why end of the year? And I might would be interested in the straight razor also. I've only got one and it was literally found on the street by my girlfriend and is in rough shape. It's got sentimental value but I would also like a useable one.

20. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Mine says Worcester Razor Co. Worcester Mass. USA