When testing a new razor, what blades constitute the perfect sample pack for you??

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Fly2High, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

When you get a new double edge razor, what blades are in your must try sample pack?

What blades do you wish are never included in a sample pack?

Which blades you do not care either way?

For me,

In a perfect sample pack:
    Voskhod Teflon
    Feather New Hi Stainless yellow pack
    Astra Super Platinum
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge
    Gillette 7 o'clock PermaSharp
    Gillette Super Platinum
    PolSilver Super Iridium
    Derby Extra
    Personna Lab Blue
    Personna Med Prep
    Nacet SS
    Bic Chrome Platinum
    Ladas Super Stainless
    Rapira Platinum Lux
    Rapira Stainless Chrome
    Rapira Super Stainless
    Rapira Swedish Super Steel
    Treet Durasharp
    Treet Platinum

Wish are never included:
    Shark anything
    Wilkinson Sword Black package

Could care less:

Merkur SP
    Personna Reds
    Lord anything
    Wilkinson Sword White package German

What are yours?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If I was to be testing a new-to-me razor, I wouldn't go sample pack.
    I'd go with a blade I know works well for me in any razor I put it in - Astra SP.
    If an Astra SP won't work in that new-to-me razor, ain't no blade gonna work.

(just to tug the chain of our grammar police!)

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I use Feathers in all my DE razors so if they don't work in a razor then the razor doesn't stay around.

Screwtape, RyX and swarden43 like this.
  4. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I agree with the last two answers. When ever I think of a DE shave it's with my Perma Sharp blade, so that what I want in a test drive.

AGHisBBS and swarden43 like this.
  5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

So for you guys, you do not find that each razor has a specific blade and instead look for your next razor to conform to a single blade.

doesn't that tend to cause you to duplicate the razor you already have? I say this because a given geometry, blade exposure, etc. might have the same blade be seen as good.

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

More aggressive geometry is better suited to less sharp blades and vice versa.

Blades don't matter nearly as much as some would like to think. As you gain experience and solidify your techniques, most blades will work for you.

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I've got a few blades I'll try in a new razor. Of course this is subject to how many I have left of each: 1) Balzano 2) Derby 3) Feather 4) GSB 5) 7'oclock Green 6) Shark Super Stainless 7) Voskhod 8) Wilkinson Sword Black.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I judge most razors with astra sp. Ive yet to find one that didnt like astras. If I do, I'll try persona labs in it.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If getting a great shave from all my razors mean I'm duplicating my razors, call it what you want.
    I have 32 DEs, 9 SEs and 8 str8s in rotation.
    Why not just one that I have found to consistently give me the best shave? I like the variety.

gorgo2, Screwtape and RetLEO-07 like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Not at all. My 34c is fairly mild when used with a Feather and my Timeless 0.95 OC is fairly aggressive with a Feather.

Like @Bama Samurai said, once the technique is mastered the blade becomes less of an issue and more of a preference. Personally I think most people starting out would be better served by quickly picking a blade they are generally happy with and concentrate on the technique. In all honesty, until you've mastered the technique you can't really say if the blade is the issue or not.

I see this same issue of newer participants concentrating on the small issues in my other two hobbies of motorcycles and shooting. There are endless debates on the motorcycle forums over suspension settings or tires. In reality a new rider is usually well served with the basic suspension setting until they have mastered the concepts of riding. Small things matter after the big things as mastered.

Screwtape, jsw41, RyX and 4 others like this.
  11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Your list looks pretty solid.
    I think (as we have seen somewhat in the comments already) that some people have one "go-to" blade and others like to switch it up. I am along the same lines as @Bama Samurai in that I believe in using milder blades in more aggressive razors and sharper blades in milder razors.
    As such, for me it breaks down 2 ways:

1) you like to just use one blade: these people will stick to their blade choice no matter what. If you haven't found this "perfect" blade for you, then I would suggest getting what most people consider the best blades (feathers, astra sp, voskhods, Gillette silver blues, Gillette 7 o clocks, rapira, and sharks tend to show up on these popularity lists a lot)

2) use different blades in different razors according to aggressiveness. You can find aggressiveness charts all over the Internet. I like feathers in things like Gillette techs and sharks or Wilkinson swords in things like blackbirds, merkur slants, and r41s

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have nothing to add to this thread that hasn't been already said. :)

I don't use a sample pack in a new razor. I stick with blades I already know and like, then branch off from there.

jsw41, Screwtape and Terry Williams like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

What blades do you prefer?

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ladas, Polsilver Iridiums, Astra SP's and sometimes Feathers.

Feathers work well for me in mild razors. Astras and Ladas work well in just about everything for me. Ditto for Polsilver Iridiums, though I've only used about 20 of those over the years, usually from tossed in extras from eBay purchases.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

In a perfect sample pack:

Derby Extra
    Derby Premium
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
    Feather New Hi Stainless
    Personna Lab Blue
    Personna Med Prep
    Astra Superior Platinum
    Voskhod Teflon

Which are never included:
    Merkur SP
    VDH
    Lord

Could care less:

Personna Reds
    PolSilver Super Iridium (discontinued - why bother?)
    Bic Chrome Platinum
    Anything else

Derbys are at the head of my list because for me they seem to work with every razor out there. That removes one variable. After the Derby, I'll try the razor with other blades to find the perfect match.

Screwtape and Norcalnewb like this.
  18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Well said!

clint64 likes this.
  19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I like the Polsilver SI blade and thought, for what it is worth, I would share the below statement from West Coast Shaving. I have seen similar posting elsewhere. The Polsilver blade is still being made. They are going through some repackaging and marketing changes but you can still get them.

"DESCRIPTION

The Super Iridium double edge blades were a popular blade before they were discontinued. Or at least that's what we thought happened to them. Turns out there was a distribution change and the blades are still being made in St. Petersburg, Russia. They are packaged slightly different, but they are the same great blade. Sharp and smooth.

5 blades per pack.

Made in Russia."

Screwtape and TypoDaPsycho like this.
  20. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

When I buy a new razor, I usually start with a Voskhod, because it's an excellent blade that has given me excellent results.

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.