Where are the Vintage Gillette shavers?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by moviemaniac, May 3, 2007.

1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Howdy guys and gals,

I'm about to enter the club of the guys owning a vintage Gillette three-hole razor, an 1919 old standard in gold to be exact.
    How many here shave with these thingies and do you have any suggestions on which modern blades work best/how to tweak the performance/etc. :cool:

Each and every suggestion is welcome ::

Oh, and for all those wondering what I'm babbling about, here's a link to the razor I bought today.

2. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

:drool very nice

I have one a few years newer and I use feathers in it with no problems...

my newest razor was I think made in 1968

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Which model do you have, if you say it's a few years younger? Still an old standard or a new or a new improved? I ask because there are some hefty differences between these different razors.

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Klaus, ISTR that these were made between 1906 and 1921, but could be off by a few. Looks to me like we have identical razors. Haven't used mine in a while, but I was using Feathers last time I shaved with it. Worked well for me.

Attached Files:

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Michael, 1906-1921 is absolutely right. Thanks for the info and the pic, Feathers were also the first blades to enter my mind. I was only a bit scared when I read somewhere (B&B perhaps) that these razors don't work well with modern blades, but now you've put my mind at rest :D

6. Damon

Damon Member

nice score I hope it shaves well for you, as you know I just joined the Gillette club myself going to give it a try tonight.

Damon

7. Will

Will Nevermind

You know I always wanted to get one of the Military Issued Razors.

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Klaus, I think they work okay with modern blades. I have a 1907 model that I did try once, but I was a relative newbie and was using US Personnas. Ouch!

They don't have much of a blade gap is the only problem I know of, though I remember someone using some small lock washers as shims. You could see if that will make a difference, but I think since you are used to straight shaving already, you'll do fine with the old Gillette. Enjoy!

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

thanks and all the best for you and your shave tonight! :cool:

and thanks, Blair, if it doesn't work out in the first place, I'll try the idea with the washers! ::

10. paydepst

paydepst Member

Klaus,
    What was your impression of this razor as I'm sure you've shaved with it by now. I find these particular Gillettes to be almost automatic shavers. Their heft represents just the right pressure and their head design accepts and works well with almost any blade. In fact they seem to do a better job with modern blades than modern razors!
    I've seen that razor before on Ebay. How bad was the hairline crack in the handle? Occasionally those cracks are only superficial and actually do not make it down to the level of the brass substrate.

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, Mark, I really, really like my Old Standard. It performs really well with IPs, Derbys and Lords - talkin' bout easy shaves :D . One brand of blades I can't use with it are the Feathers. I tried it - three times and each shave left many tiny nicks all over my face. :(
    The hairline-crack was okay. It's about 3 centimeters long and (even though it wasn't necessary) I secured it from deepening with some special metal-glue.

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0097.JPG Okay, I've had some luck bringing threads back from the dead, so here's my vintage Gillette, a NEW SC ca. 1932-1940. Currently undergoing a Focus to determine what blade is going in it. Current favorite 7 o'clock Green. Feather has already fallen by the wayside. Voskhod's on deck.

RyX, Jorvaljr, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Perhaps a CT is in order? "The Razor-rector"?

Nice razor, by the way. :happy088:

PickledNorthern, RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

Thanks. I'll leave that up to the Nominating Committee.

Carbide Mike and Jorvaljr like this.
  15. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Here are my gillettes
    IMG_4514.jpg

16. RetLEO-07

Carbide Mike and Jorvaljr like this.
  17. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

A Toggle and a matching Executive Fatboy....awesomeness. That was a lot of fun putting that collection together! Thanks for sharing.

18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Is that a wide angle lens your using?

Carbide Mike, RyX and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. Jorvaljr

Lol no. Just me holding my iPhone side ways and up

Carbide Mike and preidy like this.
  20. Jorvaljr

It has been fun putting it together. I've been fortunate with some luck

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.