...where do I go from here

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by awake2shave, Apr 13, 2012.

1. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I have been searching for my go to DE blade. First it was cheap blades I tried then the pricey one even cracking a seal on a large box of 60-70 year old year old british ever-readys. I've tried blades from all around the world India Greece Isreali Germany American Britain Canada Japan China.Running through 25 or so diffrent types from sputnik to voskhod and feather to iridium. The journy has been fun but none of the lower grade blades really brought me to completion when Facterbating.

My one true bladed goddesses have been polsilvers . I can get 6-8 shave per blade sharp as all hell and there goin extinct as fast as my want to try other bland blades. Just what I want in a BBS shave. Recently I shelled out and bought 250 (about $0.03/shave) and can't wait for them to be delivered from here.

That beign said now I'm stuck wondering whats the next level I know what on a daily basis for the next 4 years I will be using to shave. How do I step it up for special occasions ect. I have considered vintage but there price tags can be to much for something I dont consider collectable as I am planning on treating them as a commodity. So I have been researching medical blades such as skin graph blades, lancing blades with medial or surical primary application blades., similar to the medical use IP's. That are readily for sale in other parts of the market. I am having trouble coming up with more than namless generic product identifications. I have no idea where to begin.

Has anyone else gone down this road?
    Any branded items or descriptions you would reccomend?

I can only find minial information on this topic so any info would be a learning experiance.

Slipperyjoe and fishcrow like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Sucks that you found your bliss blade and that it's on the extinction list.

Those Personna blue med-prep blades are really good. I got 3 in Pat's (5savages) PIF and they all 3 worked wonderfully in 4 different razors. I'll definitely get them when I deplete my stock some more.

fishcrow likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Can't say that I've been down that road. I just enjoy the ride on the road I'm on. When you get to the fork in the road, take it.

Zilla likes this.
  4. awake2shave

The personna med blades and my face just don't agree they were in the first 5 types of blade i bought. If they did I would have never ended up with polsilvers.

battle.munky likes this.
  5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I enjoy the variety of blades that are available, I am still trying out the variety of blades after two years.

Zilla likes this.
  6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

That medical application stuff reminds me a lot of the carpet cutting blade scenario. Got to give you points for originality..never heard that one before. Perhaps these would be potentially more sterile for shaving than carpet cutters.. if they fit the razor...

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Try the Personna Med. Preps. So you didn't like the Iridiums? To me, they perform much like the Polsilvers.

8. awake2shave

It`s not that I didn`t like the iridiums I just gave the edge to Polsilvers.
    I know YMMV but I could get a longer life out of the polsilvers avg. 7 shave to a blade.
    My experiance was iridiums didnt hit there sweet spot until the 2nd shave
    where the polsilvers were ready to go right out of the pack
    my mileage was the iridiums were only good for 5-6 shaves.
    I have read about skin graph blades being used by doctors to shave with before. Thats whats given me the idea.
    I have one set of DE skin graph blades in route each in individual sterile vacume sealed packs.

9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

You'll have to tell us all about them!

10. awake2shave

will do joe . Price wise there about the same price as the big 3 (iridium feather polsilver) I am pay a premium buying a pack of 15 but they get cost effective around the 200 blade mark.

11. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Try looking at the cost per shave. If you pay 10cents a blade and use it once and get a great shave form it , isn't that cheaper than paying 50 cents for a blade and only getting 3 good shaves out of it.
    For a lot of reasons I use one blade for a shave. A 9cent Derby does give a great single shave.

12. awake2shave

I paid 26 cents a blade and get 7-8 good shaves out of them about .03 a shave ... beats .09 for a one use toss ;)

13. awake2shave

now that there paid for and in the mail these are the blades In my sights so far blades.jpg

as you can see they are Swan-Morton skin graft blades in individual packing they are standard DE size.
    I can't wait for them to get here so I can give them a go and give everyone a review....
    anyone interested here is a little more info from the manufacturer
    http://www.swann-morton.com/pdfs/silvers_a4.pdf

I am still on the hunt tho and have a few leads on other similar blades that I will let everyone know if and when I can get my hands on them.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You have seen my listing so here are my top three to replace your Iridium brand.

Super-Max Super Platinum

Personna Med Preps

Vidyut Super Max

There are others over my 80% threshold but these three are the tops overall.

Good fortune.

15. awake2shave

Thanks for the suggestions GD as of right now as I have said I have 4 years of my polsilvers enroute so it will be awhile until i need to replace them .
    Now im just looking to oddities that would be just as good or better for "special occasions".
    If these blades turn out to be useable I would be willing to send you one so you could review it and add it to your list :) let me know what you think

16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I have tried the Personna med prep blades and the Personna lab blades. I didn't notice a difference. Both gave me excellent shaves and lasted for 5+ shaves.

From what I've read, the med preps go through an extra sterilization process. In terms of cost it almost doubles the price.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent!

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

As an Iridium and Polsilver fan, I agree there are probably no true equivalents, but I have found a few blades that come close, and I am content with that.
    -Rapira (Swedes and LUX)
    -7-Oclock (Blue Ninjas)
    Additionally, I give a very respectable honorable mention to Supermax SS and Voskhod.

19. awake2shave

The blades arrived today going to shave with thm tonight.
    Will give a review after I am done.
    If I dont hack hack myself to bits I will put one in the mail for you tommarow GD just PM me your info.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I am a leaf on the wind.

Gaze averted, I reach into my big bucket of blades to take Nirvana between two fingers and load it in my Superadjustable.

Rexall carbon? Dorco? Blue Bird? I don't know until after the first swipe. Then - and only then - do I crack open the silo doors to see what just cut me.

Enlightenment.

Alum, too, but mostly serene, hemorrhaging enlightenment.

I am a bleeding leaf on the wind.

5Savages, PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.