Where Do You Shop for Shave Ready?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by dustmite, Jan 20, 2017.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Basically, I'm trying to fully explore my options. I was pretty set on getting a Whipped Dog sight unseen, but since my wife is "buying" me a straight for my birthday, she'd rather I get one that I pick out. (I'm not opposed) So my dilemma is, who sells razors that are truly shave ready? My price range goes up to around $200 max, and I'd prefer vintage...

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/
    You won't find a better price on a new Dovo. He hones the razor on a coticule before shipping. He has an excellent reputation. I know @Keithmax has at least one, possibly more from him. You can get a top of the line razor for your budget.
    After re- reading your post, I personally can recommend Logan Grose from http://www.groselegacyrazors.com/
    He has vintage razors in all price ranges and his are truly shave ready. Again for $200 you could get a couple dandys:)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Consider putting a WTB ad in the classified. I can think of a few people on this site that might have some to sell.

4. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Straight Razor Designs. I've been pleased with my razor from them.

5. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

think the easiest way to start is buying a new and professional honed razor from one of the mentioned sellers.and dont forget a good strop. a 3" is easier to use than a 2" because you dont need to use x-strokes and a 6/8 is easier to strop than a 5/8. because of the wider blade it`s easier to keep it flat when stropping.
    this is what i found out when i started to use straight a year ago.

Spyder, DaltonGang and dustmite like this.
  6. Guy Woodall

Guy Woodall Active Member

Does anyone know of UK vendors offering shave ready razors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder and Bjoerge Brathagen like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Check gemstar customs regularly

dustmite likes this.
  8. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk

they do claim to sell shave ready razors,but dont know hove their reputation is
    maybe our beloved Scottish ninja Billyfergie knows.he is from the same island.

Spyder likes this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Bjoerge Brathagen likes this.
  10. dustmite

I have been!

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. Are there any sellers on ebay that actually sell shave ready razors, or is it just a handy tag line there to sucker people into paying too much for junk?

Bjoerge Brathagen likes this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Place a want to buy here at home.

Ask Glenn or Kevin directly.

Find a nice blade in antique mall, have it restored for you. This last option appeals to me, it gives you some imput on design.

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

There are a few, but it is pretty hit and miss in my experience (mostly miss). Besides Gemstar Customs, you might also look at Griffith Shaving. The Straight Razor Designs suggestion is also good.

13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have heard that @HolyRollah may be selling a few. I hope it happens, since I am looking to get one (or two) from him as well.

14. Straight razor dandy

I have had hit or miss luck on eBay. I don't buy into it when they add "shave ready" in the line.

15. dustmite

I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds. Thanks again for all the help. My biggest concern is that I'm going to spend a nice bit of money and wind up with a pretty letter opener.

Bjoerge Brathagen, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  16. dustmite

Kinda what I figured, but thought I'd ask anyway!

Bjoerge Brathagen and Spyder like this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

@gssixgun or @HolyRollah , Larry at whipped dog, and there is a guy on various forums (mainly Facebook wet shaver enablers, though) named Jonah Shaw that sells VERY reasonable shave ready razors.

If you are truly concerned, and it sounds like you are...I would ask Glen and Kevin first

1976MGB, Drygulch, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Peace of mind comes from purchasing used from a reliable seller—one that has a good reputation and stands by the items they sell. If you feel compelled to purchase via eBay, do so from a seller that offers the standard 14-day return.

Soon..... the hardest part is determining which go and which stay. :D
    All will certainly be "shave-ready."

Drygulch, Spyder, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  19. dustmite

I actually prefer to stay AWAY from eBay, but didn't want to pass over the option. The problem with eBay is that there are some great sellers on there, but whenever they get a good name, it seems like 100 people will copy what they say just to sell junk...

Spyder and Bjoerge Brathagen like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Agree. If one does his due diligence and bids on items from sellers with a solid history/reputation, one can score some good deals. The definition of what exactly is 'shave-ready' seems to applied liberally (and inaccurately) to some eBay razors.

Drygulch, Spyder, mrchick and 2 others like this.