Where is all the positive energy?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Rusty blade, May 25, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Is it just me or is there an excess of negativity in the world today? I have been noticing recently how much negativity there is in and around my life. (Don't get me wrong...I live a good life, and I consider myself a positive person...with a good sense of humour...and I am blessed with many good people around me). But it seems everyone I know, or conversations I overhear or programs I watch on TV or the news (newspaper, radio or TV) is nothing but negativity. (Insert scream of frustration here!)

How can we inject more positive energy into our lives? What do you do to overcome the negativity in your personal world?

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I fight it daily within myself. Personally, and this'll be a Kumbaya moment; we would all be much more positive if we were to involve ourselves in fixing all of those things in which we are negative.

As an example: I was watching "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" yesterday. One of his subjects was the disdain in which most of us hold party nomination processes in various states. A key point made was we only harp about these things while they're in front of us, and never go back to fix it. Oh, and BTW...if you have HBO and don't watch this show, you're missing out.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sad but true, Scriptures say it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Happiness is external and temporary.
    Joy is internal and eternal.
    My joy comes from the Holy Spirit.
    And I refuse to allow the enemy to steal my joy!

I like your Elbert Hubbard quote. I believe that if one isn't at least a little bit crazy, they'll soon go insane.

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I manage four departments in a warehouse that pays pretty well for the job. I see people dragging through their days as if the drudgery was too much to bear. They don’t smile, stand up straight, or even look up to see people passing them. It is not the job.

People with more positive dispositions cheerily go through their days. What they do not do is constantly check their phones. I think people are annoyed with interruptions (work) from their addictions to technology. How often do you see several people in one small space with no communication because they are reading on a phone? I walk at lunch and see people from another warehouse nearby sitting three to four people per car all on the phone and not talking or looking at other humans.

I am not against technology but it is playing its part in the demise of human interaction for all its connectivity to others.

I forgot to add what I do to combat negativity. Taekwondo. I don't mean combat. The tenants of Taekwondo are courtesy and respect among others.

Jim99, ob1page and Rusty blade like this.
  5. Rusty blade

For me the first step is to notice that I am being exposed to negativity...either shows, news, or people and their incessant complaining or gossiping...(I find negativity and gossip in the workplace such a drain)...and then I have to consciously put it out of my mind....or walk away from it. I find negativity a bit like that horse fly that buzzes around your head when you are working outside...I know something is irritating me, but it takes a few minutes to realize the horse fly is the cause.

I agree with @Omaney ...we need to recognize this tendency of negativity in ourselves and resolve it there first. (Then swat the horse fly) ;) And yes...throw the TV out the window!

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I blame the news media, at least in part. "Back in my day" the news would always end (or at least contain) a few positive do-gooder type stories... someone doing something for others, a lucky windfall, etc. Now? Maybe around the holidays, but otherwise the news media thrives on sensationalism and negativity. And of course, that "always looking for the negative" slant then infects those who watch the news. Is the world a bad place? At times, absolutely. But, there is a lot of good that is being done that is not being reported.

BigMike, Jim99, ob1page and 1 other person like this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

You have to be the change you want to see in the world. You are the only person you can control. I find the biggest problem is the always on mentality. Cut back (or eliminate) social media, web browsing, and television. You won't notice the difference immediately, but once you start slipping back into old habits, you'll realize how much better off you were once you made the change.

wristwatchb, Demidog, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  8. Rusty blade

I always tell my children that there is more good in the world than evil...its just that evil makes more noise and thus gets all the attention.

9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I agree, the world seem to be full of negativity. The news promotes it, TV shows as well. It also seems like the majority of the population are rude and inconsiderate, just a drive down the street will show this. It is good to surround yourself with positive people, thoughts, and actions. This is easier said than done, but the world needs to change, and we need to make a kinder humanity or our future is in big trouble.

Paul Turner, BigMike, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'll also chime in about common courtesy and manners being replaced by utter self-centeredness as contributing greatly to the feeling of negativity in the world. I had a waiter (in his early 20s) comment to me the other day that he couldn't believe it when I said "please" and "thank you" to him. He said he never hears that from customers. I thanked him and said that he should meet my bro-in-law (late 40s) who calls anyone he doesn't know "sir" or "ma'am." When did just being baseline nice decent become such an extra-ordinary thing?

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I said this in another thread once, but if I open a door for someone and the person tells me I didn't have to do that, I see pessimism and negativity in that person. It's sad, of course. It's kind of like being courteous, kind, etc....makes one stand out in the crowd these days. Granted, that doesn't happen EVERYWHERE or ALWAYS, but it's sad when it does happen.

Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The first thing, don't watch CNN or FOX news, especially FOX. The stuff is toxic. I get my news from NPR and while admitting that it tends toward the liberal side at least it is presented in an intelligent fashion without the shouting and talk overs the cable news seems to have.
    Next, be humble and realize how much you have and not what you don't have. As a nation it seems every one thinks life should be perfect, 100% safe and secure and fair to all. That's not the reality, never has been and never will be. We need to take responsibility for our own lives and situations and not expect somebody else to do it.
    Manners seem to be lacking. A simple please and thank you, excuse me sir / ma'am.
    Help someone out if you can. The other day I was at the Home Depot getting into my truck and this gentleman was trying to fit all this stuff into his car and I could clearly see that it wasn't going to work. I walked over and offered to take it to his house for him and bring him back to get his car. Well you could see he was doubtful at first but quickly realized I was legit and off we went. As we unloaded the stuff I knew he was relieved and grateful for the help. Made his day and mine too.
    Lastly a great shave everyday always makes me feel better!

13. Rusty blade

I have never been much of a TV watcher...but we do have cable and I am generally appalled at the poor quality programming. Both entertainment and news programming. All the shows seem so dark and violent. And they seem to focus on the evil 1% of the world and good stories, good documentaries are nowhere to be found. And comedy? Sitcoms: Another vast wasteland. Most of the sitcoms are just characters -- often children -- that have perfected in your face one-upmanship. I think its time for me to throw the TV out the window. When I was younger I didn't own a TV and I found so many better things to do with my time.

SHAVEWIZARD420, ob1page and Jim99 like this.
  14. Redfisher

Lately I've been into historical documentaries on Netflix. I watched a series on the 1970's last week and while today things might be...troubled? The 70's were pretty bad with war, terrorism, bombings, unemployment through the roof, and do any of you remember gas shortages? We tend to forget the past but it always influences the future.
    Now I'm watching a series on the Civil War and I'm getting a better understanding of the things that influence our lives today that started 150 years ago. We have the privilege of living in a great nation and we have never had it easy but we have always managed to get by. These times we are in now shall pass....

PickledNorthern and Jim99 like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Echo.gif
    I adopted a Stoic lifestyle a decade ago. I didn't know it at the time. Had a theology student diagnose it when we were having a conversation. Weird how something so old and universal has been forgotten.
    desiderata.gif

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Negativity feeds negativity. It's contagious! CNN runs nonstop nonsense news. A politician can't pass gas without it being breaking news. Most sitcoms today are degrading and humiliating. Nothing is deemed sacred and if you think differently than someone else you're hateful.

There is definitely a cultural change going on around the world today and I don't think it's for the better.

News media, Internet, TV, politicians promising anything for the next vote, decline of the family support structure... That's my take on what's causing it.

I am trying to do my part to keep a positive attitude and hope alive. Positive attitudes are contagious too!

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Paul Turner like this.
  17. Redfisher

Then you have this!!

18. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Negativity sells newsprint and advertising dollars better than positivity. Combine with an overabundance of methods to access those stories.

Jim99 likes this.
  19. Redfisher

Don't worry be happy!

Metro likes this.
  20. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

[quote="Rusty blade, post: 1062896, member: 15466]How can we inject more positive energy into our lives? What do you do to overcome the negativity in your personal world?[/quote]
    I come to the Shave Den, but that's just me!

Seriously, I think most people do it instinctively, and it's to get a hobby and enjoy what you're doing.