Where to buy Russian creams?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by thevez2, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Thank you for your kind permission for us to purchase blades from someone. In fact, I may continue this venture for many years through the group buy.
    Maybe. Maybe not. That's between Jody and us TBH. I'll happily spend just as much money for my other regularly used blades, from vendors that I do business with on a continuous basis.

jbraman, newb and IAmTheJody like this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

And you're assuming I don't, since you haven't bothered to ask.

I've no problem with vendors making a profit. That's what you're in business for. What I do have a problem with is finding out what a product actually costs a vendor(s) and seeing how they are doubling the retail prices. Voskhod blades are a prime example. Vendors were at one point buying them for $5.50 shipped a card with no import or customs fees because they are coming from a USA agent who already had them on the ground in the USA at his warehouse and all they had to do was UPS or FedEx them to the vendor. And the vendors were turning around and selling them for as high as $25.00 a card because yes, as you said, they were a "novelty" - something from Russia that no one could previously get, gouging customers for the premium of being novel. You don't see a problem in buying something for $5.50 and marking it up to $20.00, $25.00 when it didn't cost you anywhere near that? And that's before the vendors added shipping to the customers into the equation. Vendors like Razor Blades And More screaming "I'm the sole exclusive mac daddy distributor of Voskhod blades for the good ole USA, you can't get them anywhere else!!!!!" and charging a $14.50 premium for that claim, only for me and others to find out that he's been lieing the whole time - that a case cost him $220.00 shipped to his door and at retail he sold that case to us for $800.00 at $20.00 a card and that he didn't have any sort of sole distributor agreement. Little or no profit you say? Not even at $15.00 a card instead of $20.00 or $25.00?

So if the group buy brings the prices down to a reasonable level, then so be it and I don't feel bad for it all. In fact, I think I've done every vendor in the USA that is selling Voskhod blades a favor. At the prices y'all were selling them at, your stock wasn't moving at the rate it's moved at since y'all were forced to lower your price to a reasonable one.

If you can import a cream from Turkey and sell it for a buck fifty a tube, and import a cream from Russia and sell it for 10 bucks a tube, then God bless ya my friend and I hope you sell many of them.

That certainly isn't the case. The wholesaler didn't contact me begging me to buy his blades. I contacted him first, both times.

Correct. That's why it's called a group buy.

Neolithium and newb like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Well, as others have posted while I was writing my post, it's obvious this thread has gone down hill and has lost its subject matter. As a result, I've closed it. Joe, if you'd like to continue this discussion, I'm more than happy to do so via PM. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.