Where to buy SE blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GallagherJ, Feb 29, 2012.

1. GallagherJ

GallagherJ New Member

Wondering if there are SE sample packs that I have been unable to find or where to find blades. Wife bought a GEM SE and it looks like something interesting to try. I am catching a shaving fever I think.

2. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Walgreens and cvs carry them. Check out ebay too.

3. GallagherJ

GallagherJ New Member

Thanks I bought some DE blades at walmart that were wilkinson, but did not see and SE blades. I was wondering they made several models like DE or just 1 brand. I just want to try this new razor out, so I will hit walgreens in morning.

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

SE blades come in two basic varieties- carbon steel blades and stainless steel. Blue Star, PAL, and all the carbon steel brands seem to be the same blade, to me, anyway.

And the GEM Stainless are essentially the same as the Ted Pella SE blades from what I've read.

There is much less variation in SE blade brands as compared to DE blade brands. If you can, pick up a pack of the GEM stainless. They're my favorite SE brand. The carbon steel brands are sharper for the first shave but they rust easily.

PanChango likes this.
  5. Blobster

Blobster Member

Unless you happen to be friendly with a good plastic surgeon don't be tempted by anything for sale in a hardware store, even if it's got GEM stamped all over it.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Some grocery stores carry them, but if you are buying SE blades please please please...

1) don't buy hardware store paint stripper blades. Make sure they are intended for either surgical use, lab use, or shaving
    2) don't buy grocery store brands such as Health Choice that are marked made in Korea. Korea does produce some OK DE blades, but the SE blades are bad

7. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

The blades I saw in walgreens and cvs said made in USA if I am not mistaken. They are in the shaving section right next to the DE blades

8. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that I bought my pack @ CVS drugstore.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Walgreens and CVS typically sell GEM brand blades. They are stainless, and work well.

NoobShaver likes this.
  10. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I have to ask. I have never shaved with a SE before. How is it compared to other methods?

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

You have to try it to see the difference. In my experience, it's different than DE but not necessarily better. The only SE that was dramatically different was the open comb micromatic. It's in a class all by itself.

12. Blobster

Blobster Member

Personally I prefer it. It seems more intuative. Just use enough pressure to keep the razor to your face and hold the top almost flat to your face. Makes an enormous amout of noise compared to DE shaving. That is a bit scary to start with because you imagine you're skinning yourself. They're really nice looking razors, you can pick up user grade (and better) models really cheap and there's little if any blade choice. Many dedicated DE users don't but I think the latter is a bonus. I don't know which model you've got but any 1912 or a Featherweight or Heavy Flat Top (G-bar) is a pretty good starter one. Give it a try!

13. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I will have to try it. I'll check ebay and I'll post what I find.

14. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have GEM's coming in the mail in the next few days with some GEM blades from the seller. I found some single edge blades in a little black box in my closet, that I had bought to scrape tape off my window. In fine print, I read American Safety Razor. Are these for shaving?

15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Also, I SE shaved for the first time yesterday and with a G1. You are right, it seemed more intuitive than the DE razors and I got three passes with just a couple of specks of blood, from my speeding, once I got over the fear of SE.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I get Gem SE blades at ShopRite. I much prefer them over the Treet blades I picked up at the corner grocery store.

17. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I agree with Mike (NoobShaver), pick one up and try it out. I would suggest a GEM 1912 to start out with, as they are easy to use and a bit mild. The 1912 will give you some serious audio feedback, which is really nice because then you know when you have the right angle and it is working. As for the blades, I use the GEM blades from Walgreens and they work great for me.

18. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Not all Walgreens and not all cvs's. I find that they also do not send by mail to all US States.

19. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Same blades I use. If you can have them shipped to a business address, shipping is a good bit cheaper than to residential.