Where to start?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DEfan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. DEfan

DEfan Member

I would like to purchase another DE, but do not know where to start. To say that I am overwhelmed by the vast models out there, would be an understatement... I currently use a Weishi. Merkur's name always pops up favourably, but seems to have a gazillion models. I am thinking about something in the $50 range. Maybe something a bit more aggressive than I currently have. Any suggestions?

2. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

after my weishi my wife gifted me an ej89l. I used that exclusively for almost a year. very good razor by the way. I just purchased a merkur furtur. it should arrive tomorrow.

3. puffulufogous

puffulufogous New Member

Do you want to try something different? There is a whole world of razors out there aside from a standard double edge. I have an adjustable, a single edge, a slant, an adjustable injector, and a standard DE. I like that they are each different and use them all. Maybe try an adjustable like a fatboy or super adjustable. I find it to be indispensable. Used razors can be a great bargain if you know what to look for.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

The Merkur HD 34c is a classic and well liked by many shavers, but as of late the Edwin Jagger DE89/Muhle R106 has really been garnering a lot of attention. Either of those I think would be a fine addition to your rotation.

If you have your technique down pat, another great choice would be an adjustable, vintage Gillette's can easily be had under $30.00 depending on model, whereas new Merkur adjustables start at slightly higher than your $50.00 price point.

5. Rebelranger

Rebelranger New Member

I'm partial to the Muhle R89 and the EJ DE89L. I love the feel and performance of both of these.
    The R89 may be above your price range....

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Personally, I'd say consider the vintage Gillette razors and get two or three for the price range you're thinking about. I don't know of a bad Gillette model, though going from a mild Weishi to an aggressive OLD style might be a bit of a shock.

7. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

I have only tried 4 or 5 different razors so i cant give much advice. However Bullgoose (I think my favorite vendor, besides TSD store of coarse) posted this coupon for merkur razors if that helps,http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21672
    I bought a slant last night.

C. S. Budzi

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

Excellent advice. For 50 bucks and a little patience you should be able to snag a tech, a new, an adjustable, and 1912. But if you have got to have new, and really turn your shaves up a notch I'd consider a merkur slant or for a few bucks more a merkur adjustable.

9. for christmas I'm going to buy a new razor. I am now taking stock of blades, after I will take 'a merkur I think I'd like a vision but it costs 103 euro, more' P ....

10. DEfan

DEfan Member

Thank you all for making this an easier decision! I am planning on an early Christmas gift to myself. I still have to make up my mind, but your advice has certainly given me food for thought. I am currently debating between the DE89 (which I had not even considered prior) and Gillette(s).