WHICH "ABOVE THE TIE" HEAD TO REPLACE MUHLE R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by italian-class, Jan 29, 2017.

1. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum..
    And fairly new to wet shaving (about 7 months..).
    Need some help to find the right DE Razor; i started with a Muhle R89 to get the technique but, since i was not getting a good result due to my coarse hairs, i switched pretty soon to the more agressive R41.
    The R41 after some practice delivered a very good shave but also requires a lot of time and sometimes some small cuts still occur which make the whole process even more time consuming.
    I am looking for a razor that is similar to the agressiveness of the R41 but more comfortable in the shave and kind of more forgiving.
    Basically i need a daily razor that will deliver a very close shave but a bit easier to use.
    I am considering "ABOVE THE TIE" as seems to be of a very good quality but not sure what would be the proper head.. H1 seems to be the one but i understand is a closed comb.. not sure if it would get a close shave?
    Other choices are R2, M2, ...
    Anyone who are familiar with all these razors and can compare them with the muhle would be of great help.
    Thanks!

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have the R41 and an ATT Open Comb/M2 razor. The ATT is very easy to use and get a BBS shave---without the pitfalls of the R41, which I cannot use as a daily razor, because it is so aggressive.

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Get a Fatip. It's just a small step down from the R41, it's all brass, and it's affordable.

4. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Many thanks!
    This sounds like may be just what i am looking for.
    By any chance, have you ever tried ATT R2? Or H1/H2 ?

Primotenore likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No, I have not. The ATT was a generous gift from our member @KAV
    It really is a terrific razor.

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

This. Times ten.

7. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Thanks for the advise!
    I read some good reviews about it, i'll have to keep it into consideration.

8. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I've used all of the ATT DE open combs, and settled on the H2 (although I kept the S2 as well). I also use the R41 2011 (although I also have the R41 2013). For my face, the ATT open comb most similar to both R41s is the H2. The Charcoal Goods Level 3, Ikon Shavecraft Tech and PAA DOC Evolution are also very similar.

9. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Many thanks for the feedbacks!
    I actually like the R41 but it is just too aggressive to be my daily razor..
    I am leaning towards the ATT M2 but i am just afraid it would be similar to the Muhle R89 which for me is way too mild.