Which blade for a Muhle R41 Open Comb Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by eugene-wsc, Jun 18, 2014.

1. eugene-wsc

eugene-wsc New Member

I am about to try a Muhle R41 Open Comb Razor and am not sure which blade to start with. I currently use an Edwin Jagger DE89 with Feather blades but have used Derbys, Sharks and a few other in it previously. I do like the Feathers but am concerned that they may be a little extreme to start with :) Any suggestions?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Everyone is so different. I like Personna Lab Blue. You'll need to try a few different blades. YMMV.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Astra Superior Platinum I find to match very well with the razor. You can eventually trade-up to the Feathers or Personna Meds, but the Astras are a very good start.
    The R41 isn't a true open comb, but sort of a modified hybrid of the safety bar/open comb concept.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doryferon likes this.
  4. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I am partial to Rapira Swedish Supersteel and Rapira Lux in the R41 (2013 version).

5. eugene-wsc

eugene-wsc New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Great photos. What is the Omega synthetic brush like?

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I haven't entirely 'warmed up' to it yet. It's soft, somewhat floppy, and the tips are a bit prickly.
    With the right soap, however, it does the job well enough.

7. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I too am partial to using the Astra SP in the R41 2011 and 2013 models.

8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

For an OC, I usually like the sharpest blade I have, no experimenting allowed.

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

For the R41, I prefer Perma-Sharp Super blades as my primary choice with Gillette Silver Blues and Rapira Swedes closely behind.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Additionally, I find the 2013 version more forgiving of blade choice than the 2011 model, which can become quite unpleasant with the wrong blade.

11. eugene-wsc

eugene-wsc New Member

Thanks for the replies. I tried it this morning with the blade that came with it (a Derby). Managed 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG no problems. Thanks again for the blade suggestions. I look forward to trying them out :)

12. Nathan1611

Nathan1611 Well-Known Member

I personally like Feather or KAI blades in mine.

13. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

I agree Astra SP and Personna Med 001 work very well in the 2013 R41

14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

In the past I have had bad experiences with feather blades in any razor. Been using feathers in the R41 and got three great shaves from the same blade. Maybe my technique is better or just that the combination of razor and blade is good for my face, I don't know the answer now only future shaves will tell. Either way feathers worked really well for me. :)

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Both of those factors will certainly influence the results...

16. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

You make a good point, maybe its time to try Feather blades in my other razors again, and see if I have improved my technique. I want to like and enjoy these blades. When things go well with the Feathers I get a great shave, but for me, Feathers razor burn is very, very, bad and painful.

17. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

You have the 2011 or 2013 edition ?

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I was assuming he is using the newer 2013 version since the 2011 model is not only growing quite scarce, but also comes at a hefty price (easily twice the cost of a new one) on the used market.

Doryferon likes this.
  19. eugene-wsc

eugene-wsc New Member

I am using a 2013 version. I have tried some Gillette Blues which are working well in this razor. I will try some Astra's and the Feather's which are my usual blade (in an Edwin Jagger DE89). I have used the R41 for five days now.

20. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

If you have the 2013 edition go for Kai-Feather-Personna
    Then Astra-Shark.