Which blade for your Old Type?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by preidy, Jun 3, 2016.

1. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Just curious. You Old Type users do you have to use a specific (go to blade) with your OT or can you use a variety? Over the last year I've tried about six mainstream blades that I still successfully use in other razors, but to no avail with my OT's. All four of my OT's just seem to like the ole P-Lux which just gives me great consistently good comfortable shaves. Based on this morning shave I've decided that the P-Lux is now my default OT blade. I guess the answer all along was right in front of my face.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I can put an Astra SP in any of my DEs and get DFS to BBS with all of 'em.

Herm2502 and gorgo2 like this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

That's a better deal than having type O.

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I'm still experimenting. I've worked out that I like a really sharp blade in my adjustable, and a smoother blade in my Old Type. I like a quite like SuperMax Stainless in my OT, but the best blade has been a 1960's Gillette blade. I have some 7'o clock blades to try and have been using one of the blacks in my Slim. It isn't quite right, but I think it will be great in my OT. Next week will be the test.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

My old type likes Kai, GSB, and Wilkinson Sword. I haven't used it in months, my fiance took it and has had it loaded with Wilkinson blades since.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

O+ is what I have :)

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Plain ole Feather.

8. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Voskhod

Drugstore (personna?) For my tto, when I do use them

9. dan_x

dan_x Active Member

Any of your usually good blades should work well in the old. I did find with one of mine, it needed a shim under the blade. It changed the shave of that razor from moderately uncomfortable to my everyday go to bbs razor!!

10. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I put a bolsano in a blue tip today......very very smooth___________

11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I don't have a special blade for my Old Type.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Jack19

Jack19 Member

I have three "Old"s, a 1906 SR, a 1919 J and a 1920s Made in Canada. They, all, give incredible shaves.

I use Personnas in mine, they get along with my face. Crystals work really well for me and are my favorite; but, Reds, Lab Blues, and even the Med Prep also give great shaves.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  13. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Feather works for me in all my razors just fine. I've tried others but always come back to these.

14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I just used my 1907 Single Ring and used a Gillette Silver Blue. Very nice shave.

dangermouse and Robyflexx like this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've used Lab Blues in all my razors and have had good shaves with all of them.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1