Which blade is closest to a Feather?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MikekiM, Oct 19, 2010.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I have a jar full of blades.. A few types of Astra, Personna and Derby, some Lords, Racers, Feathers, Wilkinson's.. and more..

Understanding that YMMV and all, which blades, in my list or otherwise, are generally considered to be close to the sharpness of the Feathers?

I am using a new razor that mated real well with the Feather and I would like to choose another blade that is close to the Feather..

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

KAI blades are pretty close.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Kai are pretty close, so are Perma-Sharp Super.

4. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

In addition to the Kai blades, I think the Silver Star (by LORD) are pretty close also. But I'd say the Silver Star shaves more like a sharper version of an Astra than like a feather, despite be ultra sharp. I think it has something to do with the grind angle(s). I've only used one Kai blade that was a freebie so I don't recall well enough which blade it shaved more like.

6. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Thanks all.

Kai... Perma-Sharp Super... Don't have either of these..

I think I have Silver Stars in my jar..

7. Hiya,

I can't remember trying the Kai blade, but I do have one and will give it a shot in the future. I've been using a Feather blade in my fatboy for a couple years now, and the blade I alternate with is an Iridium. Those are almost as sharp as a Feather, but more forgiving. The Iridium works best for me in almost all my razors.

Another very good one is the Gillette SharpEdge. Matter of fact, I'd have a hard time telling the difference between those and the Iridium. Both are quite sharp, but they each give the user a little more time to stop doing whatever screw up it is they're doing.

Sadly, the Iridium blades have gone almost extinct for now, so see if you have a SharpEdge in that blade jar.

Hope that helps,

Martin

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Perhaps Sputniks?