Which blade to start with?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Hirsute, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Greetings all. I'm new to DE and am diving in. I just purchased a large blade sampler to get started in a 1980 Gillette Super Speed. I was wondering: any recommendations for which blades I should start with? I know there will be a lot of variation and personal preference for what I end up liking, but I'm hoping you'll have some suggestions for milder or easier blades to start with. I'm especially curious since I'm new to DE, have sensitive skin, and am just back to shaving after ~ 10 years with a beard. Thanks all!

Here's what is in the sample pack I purchased (these will keep me busy for a while!):

• Merkur Super Platinum (10 blades)
    • Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum (10 blades)
    • Crystal or "Israeli" (10 blades)
    • Derby Extra (5 blades)
    • Wilkinson Sword (5 blades)
    • Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (5 blades)
    • Astra Superior Platinum (5 blades)
    • BIC Chrome Platinum (5 blades)
    • DORCO Platinum ST-300 (10 blades)
    • DORCO Platinum ST-301 (10 blades)
    • Red Pack Israeli (5blades)
    • Lord Platinum (5 blades)
    • Sharp (5 blades)
    • Shark Super Chrome (5 blades)
    • Shark Super Stainless (5 blades)
    • Nacet Platinum (5 blades)
    • Super-Max Stainless (10 blades)

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

My advice -

Put them all, except the feathers, in a bag and pick one at random.

When you get ready to try the second blade, add the feathers to bag before selecting.

5Savages likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

What a great selection of blades! I'd have to agree with Mr Erik wait with the feathers until later, but other than that just pick em at random. Personally because I really like the cute little shark on the Shark package, I'd probably start there.. but that's me...

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep. Erik saved me the typing.
    Thanks, Erik! :happy088:

Billr likes this.
  5. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Sounds good. Other than the Feathers, I'll just dive in. Thanks!

6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I do not disagree with the above advice, but my approach differs a tad. Since you are very new to DE shaving and know you have sensitive skin, you are correct to start with milder blades initially. I recommend you start with Crystal and Dorco 301 since you have 10 ea of these. Give yourself a month with these two to get your technique down. Then try others one at a time and start forming 3 blade piles (bad, OK, and best). In addition to Feathers, I would also hold off on 7-O'clocks initially, as they are very sharp and can be less forgiving IMHO. In a couple of months you will start to see which blades you favor. Keep the less favorable and revisit them later, as your preferences will likely change.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  7. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

WOW thats some sampler pack!!! great advise so far, and good luck :)

8. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Yep, should keep me busy for a while. I bought the "Everything Sampler" from West Coast Shaving. Nice price for that many blades!

9. Slipperyjoe

I like Mr Reno's plan. It'll give you lots of time to check out all your different blades. If I may add, it's good to change only one variable at a time when testing stuff out. That way you don't get all confused.. you know what did what. So keep the razor and soap etc the same throughout the testing period..2cents worth...

10. Hal24

Hal24 New Member

Hello all,
    same here, I just received my TSD sample pack:
    36 Blade Sampler
    3 blades of each brand;
    1. 7 AM Platinum Hi Stainless
    2. Astra Superior Platinum
    3. Crystal
    4. Derby Extra
    5. Dorco Platinum
    6. Gillette 7 O Clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
    7. Gillette 7 O Clock Super Platinum (Blue)
    8. Sharp Stainless
    9. Super-Max Super Stainless
    10. Treet DuraSharp
    11. Voskhod
    12. Wilkinson Sword Classic - White Label
    and need advice as to where to start, thanks for your advice.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Hal24, I would start with the Wilkinson Sword. It's a nice middle of the road blade, easily found at most Wal*Mart's. Barring that, the Astra Superior Platinum is a well regarded blade on this forum. Many people say the Derby's and Treet's are rough shavers, while others consider them their favorite blades. Like condoms, choosing your blades is a deeply personal decision and you may find that
    a. a blade that dosn't work for you now, may be one of your favorites as your technique continues to improve.
    b. a blade that sucks in one razor may be fantastic in another razor and
    c. you may get a "bad" razor blade. it happens, not often, but it does happen. QC slips every once in a while.

Hope that helps.
    ...and take notes. describe quality of shave, how long blade lasted, etc. All the blades in your Sampler are easily obtainable and moderately priced, so you could just start in alphabetical order or reverse alphabetical order and go through them all.

12. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Thanks for all of your advice on a blade. I had my first DE shave this morning. I went with the DORCO Platinum ST-301 in my 1980 Gillette SS. Aveda beautifying oil for pre-shave, Proraso whipped up with an Omega 10005, WTG and XTG passes, cold water, Thayers, then Aveda aftershave balm. I'll admit it--I was a little nervous about hacking up my face with a DE. Everything went fine, though. I was surprised how easy it was. Taking the advice at TSD, I just went slow and easy with no pressure. No cuts, easy to find the right angle, and a very satisfying shave. I'm sold. :thanks:

swarden43, 5Savages and KLF like this.
  13. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Happy to hear it went well and you're happy :) . I have one week of shaving with DE and can't believe how good it is, all thanks to TSD forum and mantic59 videos.

14. Hal24

Hal24 New Member

Hello PoM,
    thanks for your advise. I also have a few Merkur and Personna Blues in my selection. Where do you think they should fit into my DE shaving starting lineup?
    Thanks again,
    H.

15. Slipperyjoe

Pretty much anywhere you like. Unless your Personnas are the Med Prep kind, then both are more or less middle of the road, so you don't have to worry about a super sharp start...

16. Hal24

Hal24 New Member

Hi Joe,
    Great advise. I am all ready to go here with my return to DE shaving after many years in the wilderness.
    H.

17. Slipperyjoe

Ahh .. the prodigal son returns lol...

18. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

What you should start with depends on your beard. if you have a thick, wiry beard, pick some of the sharper ones to start with. if you have a light beard, pick a milder one.

IMO, a decent mild choice would be the crystals. A sharper option would maybe be the Gillette sharp edge.

Good luck, and remember that razor technique, beard prep and good lather are very important, too!