Which Modern DE is best?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hank, Jul 19, 2011.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

A modern razor I would say is the pro-glide with batteries. Most of the other razors are just copies of vintage Gillettes. There really isn't much available that's a radical design change. Or "modern". The Merkur Futur and Vision are about the only newer d/e razors that are not total copies of vintage gillettes. I think the first modern change in razors goes to the early s/e's, Now, that was a revolutionary design change.

2. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I think the best modern/ currently produced razor is the Feather All Stainless. Yes, it's expensive, but it's built like a tank, and will last several life times. I don't find it to be as mild as most claim it to be (feels like a typical Superspeed to me), and not having to worry about rusting, or plating degrading over time is a great thing.

It's expensive, but if you can somehow limit yourself to just one razor it wouldn't be as expensive; some people heavily struck by RAD end up spending 1000's of dollars on their collections.

3. Godan

Godan Member

I agree absolutely. The Feather, Pils and Ikon, made from steel, are orders of magnitude better than some of the others mentioned which are made from a cast zinc alloy. There is little to choose between the three, but the Feather has a better handle than the Pils and is more available than the Ikon. I am able to shave as close with my Feather and Ikon as with any other razors, and the experience is much more elegant. Michiganlover has it all right.

4. kaseri

kaseri New Member

For me it's the Feather SS DE. The weight, size and angle of blade are ferfect for my face.

5. fate3

fate3 New Member

you guys sold me on the EJ89L so here's hoping it works for me (beating out the merkur)

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's always the one I'm about to buy or just bought.

At least for a few weeks, then it changes to whatever is next.

Honestly, I am happy with my Old Type and OC MicroMatic.

Boojum1 likes this.
  7. Griff76

Griff76 Member

mmmmmm just looked up the feather razor mentioned above....... I got a wedding coming up.......... hehehehehe

8. troy

troy Member

EJ DE 87.............

9. waynejitsu

waynejitsu New Member

This reminds me of-
    "What is best, a Chevy or a Ford"?
    Is there a right answer?
    Is there a wrong answer?
    Is the answer whatever you like best?
    Or is it a Muhle R41:)

What is best, hmmmm...,
    With what blade?
    On whose face (a totally needed answer but also an answer that will do no one here any good, ONLY the person using the razor.
    Does it need to be mild?
    Good for thick hair?
    Good for sensitive skin?
    Does it need to be aggressive?
    Do you want 1pc razor?
    2pc razor?
    3pc razor?
    Adjustable razor (recommended since you do not know and can change from mild to wild on a Merkur Futur and it is not like shaving with a 2x4 (Think Merkur Vision), some like them, most think they are too..., much too bulky, but hey, try one of those too, you may be one of the rare that like it, there is something for everyone:)

Here is at least a partial answer-
    All razors are different,
    All blades are different,
    All skin or "faces" are different,
    All blades give different results when used in a different razor,
    The ONLY way to know is to buy, sell, trade, experiment, etc, etc.
    On Monday my favorite razor is usually different than my favorite razor, say, on Friday.

This type of question usually only serves to confuse or to introduce more questions, IMO...

Boojum1 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  10. JCinPA

JCinPA Member

Definitely a YMMV thing. But I'm conducting a shave-off for myself between my two favorites, a gold-plated Gillete notched-bar Aristocrat and my EJ faux horn octagonal handle and for me ... I love them both -- but the EJ is just awesome. The length, the weight and balance, everything about it is just, well, perfect.

I like the old razors, but I'm starting to just use the EJ most of the time.

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

As mentioned, the EJ DE 89L is great. I also love my Muhle 41.

12. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

The best for me at this time is my EJ DE89L with the Feather blades. But, if I ever hit the lottery I will own one of the Feather SS DE razors.

EJ DE89L & Feather Blades.jpeg

13. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

Im getting great shaves with an Edwin Jagger DE89Bl.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I was told that Muhle makes the shave heads for Edwin Jagger and that the EJ DE89L and the Muhle R89 use the same head. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, then the Edwin Jagger is a real bargain considering it is $30+ Vs the Muhle $60+

15. bakerbarber

bakerbarber Member

I prefer the Futur.

Of all the modern razors I own, the Futur is the most versatile and effective shaver for me.

16. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

The best modern (I'm defining modern as "currently in production") that I've tried so far is the Feather Popular... about $20 delivered.

I seriously don't see a reason to keep my Futur any longer... Plus, it could be some cash on the way to a Feather all Stainless... I can only imagine the quality of workmanship in the AS-D1 after seeing what they put into a plastic and stamped steel TTO razor at less than 1/10 the price of the AS-D1.

17. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Anyone ever used one of these Edwin Jagger razors? Some call it a FATBOY but I think Edwin Jagger calls it the Georgian or Plaza model.

EJ FATBOY.jpeg

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I also think that overall this is the best modern production razor.

19. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I am a vintage type guy. Having said that, I was interested in getting "one" modern razor about a year ago and asked the same question (which is the best modern razor). There were so many fans of the EJ line on this board, I went with the EJ DE86 ( liked the black handle look), and have found it to be a truly refined experience. It was also quite reasonably priced compared to some other choices. When paired with sharper blades (such as Voskhod, Supermax SuperStainless, a 7Oclock Yellow or Feather), it has been flawless and forgiving, and a real BBS producer. I still like the vintage stuff because it forces me to use good technique, plus I enjoy the variety. However I could easily use my EJ all the time, but I am not ready for that drastic step just yet. I am still a vintage guy at heart. I am very happy with my EJ being my "one" modern razor.

20. Dipesh

Dipesh Member

For me it's my Mergress. The progress is great, the customised knob makes it even better and gives it that extra heft it needs.