Which Shavette did you use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

2. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

On both cheeks I do one pass, north to south which is with the grain. With the CJB I’m finding one pass is all I need on the cheeks. I’m stretching the skin which really helps. My neck is more of a challenge to get a close shave. To keep it simple I do the first pass from the jaw line down, then if needed a second pass from the south end up to the jaw line. Then I’m done regardless to avoid irritation. I’m shaving every 2nd or 3rd day with this one while I learn to use it.

I have a mustache and goatee so I don’t have to deal with those areas.

3. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Thanks. Makes sense. I find similar with the Feathers that they take a lot off the cheeks. I shave with different passes with the SS, DX and Kai and the blade I load.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    sdguero likes this.
  4. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

FHR-760100_Feather_artist_club_ss_black_folding_1200x.jpeg Feather SS loaded with a Schick Proline blade
    Synthetic brush
    Wholly Kaw tallow
    Dickinson witch hazel
    Pinaud clubman

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  5. sdguero

SOTD 3.21.2018
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VDH boar
    Soap: Williams
    Razor: CJB pain stick
    Blade: Feather Professional (3)
    Post-shave: Assured WH, Aqua Velva 5 in 1 Sensitive AS Balm, Aqua Velva Musk AS / Cologne
    sotd 3.21.2018.jpg

6. Norcalnewb

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

20-22 March

Luxor Pro/Sharp Star [​IMG]

wristwatchb, sdguero, Deeter and 3 others like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

9. SevenEighth

Pre-shave: Musgo glycerine soap
    Brush: Semogue 830
    Soap: Geo F Trumper Sandalwood
    Razor: Kai Captain
    Blade: Feather Pro
    A/S: Proraso balm
    [​IMG]

I love the Kai Captain. It is such a pleasure to use. The Trumper soap on the other hand just doesn't seem to hold a lather on the face in a hard water area.
    Got carried away and made three passes just because I was enjoying myself.

sdguero, Deeter, Bama Samurai and 5 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

11. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Feather SS shavette loaded with Schick Proline blade
    Baume.be shave cream
    Synthetic brush
    Dickinson witch hazel
    Pinaud clubman

FHR-760100_Feather_artist_club_ss_black_folding_1200x.jpeg

sdguero, Keithmax, MR41 and 5 others like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

29222D6C-2416-464C-B35B-18A0A1A36507.jpeg

sdguero and Keithmax like this.
  13. sdguero

SOTD 3.29.2018
    Brush: Barburys synthetic
    Soap: VDH Deluxe
    Razor: CJB pain stick (face) + Gillette Tech (scalp)
    Blade: Feather Professional (1) + Generic "Best Choice" DE (4)
    Post-shave: Dickinson's Original WH, Gillette Sensitive Skin AS Gel, Gillette Cool Wave AS
    sotd 3.29.2018.jpg

SpeedyPC, Keithmax and MR41 like this.
  14. SevenEighth

This thread has gone a bit quiet. Time to try out my fixed handle Kai Captain.
    Preshave: King of Shaves silicon
    Cream : Razorock Savon à Barbe
    Brush: Mühle travel brush
    Blade : Kai Captain.
    Aftershave : Nivea post shave sensitive balm.

Wow - what a razor. Lovely grip. Great balance. I have visions that I'm wielding a high precision machete, hacking away the jungle of freshly sprouted stubble. The cream lathered well and was a good consistency for a shavette shave. I think I'll be sticking with Feather blades in it though. [​IMG]

15. SevenEighth

I really like this fixed handle Kai Captain. It sits so easily in the hand and is compact enough that it allows you to get very precise angles. I found myself shaving old - style and got a very good DFS with a single pass. [​IMG]

SpeedyPC and MR41 like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straights Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Sterling Lime Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #277
    Luxor Pro Master
    Derby Premium
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Lucky Tiger

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Van Der Hagen Luxury Shave Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #277 silvertip badger brush. I did two passes with the Luxor Pro Master Razor using a Derby Premium blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Lucky Tiger AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Keithmax, MR41 and SevenEighth like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

April 8 Plans

Parker SRX shavette
    Perma-Sharp Super (2)
    Rudy Vey Chubby handle with Shavemac Two-band Silvertip knot
    Mike's Natural Soap - unscented
    Thayers, Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, Fine L'Orange Noir, and Terre d’Hermès Parfum

My RV brush is a LE that I picked up a few years ago. I have no. 15, as my Dad was born in 1915. After a couple of months of regular use, I've become comfortable using the Parker SRX as an everyday razor. For daily shaves, I'll go with one pass. If I go for two passes, I'll skip a day between shaves. I plan to use it for most of April and then return to DE shaving for awhile. If you've been considering a shavette, this is the one to get. It is a steal at $25, relatively easy to learn, and delivers a wonderfully close and comfortable shave once you get the hang of it.

I hope you all have a great Sunday!

[​IMG]

Keithmax, SevenEighth and MR41 like this.
  18. SevenEighth

I have never been tempted by the Parker SRX... But with all the great posts in this thread... You lot have caught my interest

Keithmax likes this.
  19. SevenEighth

TOBS Sandalwood preshave oil
    SEMOGUE 820
    Old Spice (from India)
    Feather AC SS fixed handle
    Feather Super Pro blade

A bit of a mixed shave. The fixed handle SS is kind of a revelation. I was able to apply a LOT of lateral pressure from the face of the shavette whilst maintaining a very light contract between the blade and my skin. This meant I didn't need skin stretching at all because the SS lip was really doing its job. Mostly this resulted in a BBS in two passes. The issue was I was using a blade that should have been replaced a couple of shaves ago. I'm disappointed. A fresh blade would have been more satisfying. [​IMG]

Keithmax, MR41 and Edison Carter like this.
  20. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I've been using my Classic Samurai. It's the cheapest shavette I've owned, but it shaves the best. The handle is thin and light plastic, but that makes it easier to see what I'm doing and the weight is in my hand, not sticking out away from my face in the handle. Much easier to control.

Also, I bought a bunch of Shark single edge blades, and they work much better than the DEs I used to use. I suspect when I was snipping the DE blades, it left a little ridge that would cause the blade to sit at a slight angle in the holder.

Keithmax and SevenEighth like this.