Which Super Speed Can Be For Beginners?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 25, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I read that the Gillette Super Speeds are the most popular of the vintage Gillette line. Which super speed can be for beginners; the blue tip (mildest), the flare tip (milder), or the red tip (aggressive)

Just to remind everyone one more time I am getting a flare tip super speed either next week or after.

MR41, crackstar and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Just the plain ole flair tip is fine. Like driving a comfortable ole pickup truck.

crackstar likes this.
  3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

The Red Tip was the first DE razor I ever used. While a wider blade gap can lead to bigger cuts, any of the Super Speeds can be used by anyone, IMO. Even the Red Tip isn't a murder machine like some would have you believe.

RyX and crackstar like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

There is no such thing as a beginner razor.

The quickest path to shaving happiness is to simply pick one razor and master it. Guys who switch razors early on looking for comfort inadvertently sentence themselves to a longer learning curve and more discomfort.

It doesn't matter which razor, they all are simply a handle for holding a blade against your face.

Shaving is like golf, equipment only matters if the fundamentals are in place.

jtspartan, RyX, 2hot 2trot and 6 others like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thanks. Saved me the typing.

RyX, dustmite, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

There are no aggressive SS models, and you're right on about anyone could easily use one.

dustmite, crackstar and jmudrick like this.
  7. theguitarshaver559

Yes, but there are some out there that say the red tip is aggressive.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The key word usually used is "more" aggressive then the other model super speeds. I have found super speeds as a group are not that aggressive.

Bama Samurai, dustmite and crackstar like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As Fuzzy mentioned above, SS would not be normally classified as an 'aggressive' razor, compared to other DE razors available, either modern or vintage.
    NOW to differentiate between the SS models, there is a purported hierarchy of 'aggressiveness' with blue being mild and red being the most aggressive.

ALL are relatively mild, easy-to-use shavers.

This is akin to asking "In the world of hot sauces, which of Taco Bell's sauces are the hottest?" ;) Answer: None.
    But compared to TB's Mild, Hot & Fire, the Fire is probably the hottest of the current lot (**havent tried TB's Diablo)

RyX, Bama Samurai, dustmite and 2 others like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You sure use a LOT of them big words. Very good explaination. Thanks for making it clearer.

The Diablo at TB is no big deal by the way.

11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I thought the same thing when I first started . You read how aggressive the red tip razor is and once you have one and use it, you figure out it's not aggressive at all. The key is practice. When you use a razor long enough it becomes easier to use. The red tip is aggressive compared to the other super speeds and the tech but not compared to a lot of other razors. Set your slim to 4 and you will have the high end of aggression for a super speed. In my opinion the red tip is a good razor all around.

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

Bama Samurai and crackstar like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I think it just comes down to blade selection.

crackstar likes this.
  14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My Super Speed dates back to the 1950's and it 's very mild and forgiving. Either I have a great technique or I'm lucky because I get wonderful, close, comfortable shaves with it and I have a very tough beard.

RyX and dustmite like this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

IMO- that flare tip will do you right as a starter. I started with a 1958 TV special and over the months that followed I learned about what I liked and what suited me best. Astra SPs are good, inexpensive starter blades. Getting a large sample pack is also a great idea.

RyX and crackstar like this.
  16. theguitarshaver559

Thanks for the advice, but as Bama said, there is no starter or beginner blade. Starter and beginner are basically the same thing.

Bama Samurai and crackstar like this.
  17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My brother-in-law started DE shaving with a Merkur Vision, but now he's trying to get a Tech.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am going to disagree here a bit. There are razors that are better for newer shavers. Just like you learn to fly in a small plane...not a jet. Once you learn the technique and skills needed flying is flying. I would say a new shaver is better off not jumping into something like a single ring or OCMM to start. If you do not have good technique you have to make up for it with tool selection.

MR41 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  19. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

With the exception of injectors, I personally wouldn't recommend ANY single edge razor to a beginner. Same goes for slants and open comb. But, just about any of the safety bar razors that can be easily found on ebay (tech, SS, Krona...) are all solid choices for novice DE shavers. Find one that feels good in your hand, and use it, and only it, for at least a solid month. Constant switching while learning, and blaming your tools for issues caused by technique, seem to be the biggest reason people give up on DE shaving.

RyX and MR41 like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I have to agree with Fuzzy. I started out with a VDH and went to an EJ DE89bl. Then I went to the NEW and SA-109. That's when I started getting my other hardware(blades&brushes) in order. All the while working on technique.

wchnu likes this.