Which Swedish, Japanese, and Russians??

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Beadog, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

I want to try my hand at honing/shaving with each of these kind of razors, but I really have no idea what brands/makes to look at/avoid.

I have a nice French razor (Le Grelot), A good "user grade" Filarmonica DT 14, a decent old Wade & Butcher, and multiple "American" straights, mostly of German origin/manufacture.

After a few years experience with straight razors, I have found that what razors bring in selling price very often doesn't make a bit of difference in ability to take and hold a good edge, or provide an excellent shave. Some of my best shavers aren't worth 15 bucks.

So, what should I avoid, and what might I consider adding to my stable, without spending a fortune for the same end result...a good shaver that feels good in hand and on the stone, too?? Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

In My Experience All Swedish Steel Razors are Excellent Wither they are Swedish Razors or Japanese or Otherwise..Japanese Razors are Excellent & So are the So Called Lesser Known Brands..If You Fancy a Russian Job I Would Suggest a 1960s or Pre 1960s Model..The Steel is Excellent..:)

Billy.. :chores016:

3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

For Russians my preference is one from the ZTV factory and russianrazors.com is a reputable vendor with fair prices. My 1940s and 1950s ZTV razors are my favorites although I do have a 1960s and a 1970s from the STIZ factory that I really enjoy - so no reason to get too hung up on that. My bigger advice would be to stay away from anything after the 1970s. :happy088:

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I second the Swedish Steel razors. I have many Japanese Swedish Steel razors, and unless they have excessive wear, they all hone up fantastically. They can go by the names: Swedish Steel, and Silver Steel. It has been used in many Sheffield razors too, but might not say so.

5. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick replies! Makes me less leary of the "no name" vintage razors from the countries in question.

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Stay away from Pakastani razors, and you should be pretty safe. Germans, English, Swedish, French, Americans, and the Japanese all make some very fine shavers. I can't vouch for the turncoats that possess the communist steel :innocent

7. DaltonGang

Well, I can say that the Russians made some fine razor steel, for some time. I have two, and they are wickedly sharp.
    I would say the Japanese were a very close second to Russia, and Germans ranked third in atrocities. I'm talking During WWII, and after WWII for for Russia.

8. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Everyone has their atrocities sad to say. Rape of Nanking, purges, holocaust... and then there are those that are less obvious. We can't change the past but can work towards a better future. :happy088: OK, back to shaving enjoyment... :happy036:

10. DaltonGang

:happy088:

It's a Razor, not a bloodthirsty dictator. I just like trying different razors throughout history.

11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

12. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

You guys are too funny!

13. DaltonGang

Just funny looking.

14. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You are pretty safe with Vintage razors

There are some "WOW" razors but it is more a combination of the Steel Grind Honing and compatibility with your face that makes them that way...

You have a razor that by many is considered to be one of the best ever produced The Filarmonica Double Temple #14 is ranked very high
    I haven't met a LeGelot that hasn't been an exceptional shaver

Condition really makes difference, I don't care what the Brand is is the steel is shot it won't hone well or shave well..

Now personally,
    Give me any Vintage American steel, and especially Little Valley NY made and I am pretty happy :)
    Japanese razors are right up there with them on my list of my happy places

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

NY steel recipe the reason?

17. DaltonGang

Yeppers. Except I don't have a Filarmonica yet. Its a little out of my comfort price range. I do have plenty of Japanese and American Razors though, rarely have I found a dud.

18. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

I agree completely, especially regarding the American vintage/eastern US steel. It is hard for me to spend hundreds of dollars for a razor that shaves no better than an old vintage American blade worth less than 50 bucks. My Filarmonica and my LeGrelot were both freebies, and I had some nice scales put on the LeGrelot. The Filly isn't pretty enough to warrant new scales. All my other razors cost under 20 bucks each, shipping included, and shave just as well. Also, I have a Red Imp Wedge (132) that is a great little razor. I traded a decent stone for it, in NOS condition.

All that said, I think I will be on the lookout for a nice Japanese straight....just because!

19. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Not positive, I was talking about this with Mike Blue at one of the Yakima WA meet ups, and his opinion was that they were probably made from the super fine grain PA steel of that time.. Since Mike is one of the Foremost steel experts in the world I tend to listen when he talks :p

20. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Is is safe to assume that "American" vintage razors labeled as "Silver Steel" were made from Swedish steel too, or is that an erroneous assumption?

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.