Which vintage?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Dec 7, 2013.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hello

I'm slowly looking into another DE razor, pref. vintage.

I have these now:

Mühle R89 (same head as EJ)
    Merkur 15C (open comb)
    Gillette Super Speed '64 Flare Tip
    Gillette Rubie razor (Tech-inspired head, dunno if it's exactly same design)
    Possibly a Merkur 39C Slant on the way..

What would I be wise to look for if I want something good without getting duplicate of what I already have in my den?

I've been thinking of a Tech, but I'm worried that the Super Speed and Rubie are too much Tech-like that it would just be "the same".

Any thoughts?

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Martin, I would recommend going with the very first DE design for your next move.

This original design works better today with modern stainless blades than it was first introduced.

They are still easily available and if you get one with a "cracked" handle, you can use a substitute handle.

[​IMG]

Good fortune in your choice.

3. tuxxdk

Wow, fast response, niiice :)

Is that the one called Gillette Old Type, or something? What would a cracked handle mean, and why do they suffer from that?

Thanks a lot! :)

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Martin, since you're in Europe, are the British Gillettes easy to find? How about a Rocket HD?

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. This is the Gillette Old Type. The one that you see in the photo does not suffer from cracked handle. The OLD Type heads started in 1904 and went to 1929 with a few handle redesigns along the way. When Gillette made their redesign to this handle type, they were in a cost cutting mode and made the handle barrels to use compression fittings at the end and at the flange. Over time the thin barrel would contract and crack at the ends and some even all the way across the handle. The great news is, that you really want the head, because their is an abundant number of handles that will fit this head.

6. tuxxdk

Relatively easy over eBay, yes. Cheap - oh no :) Rocket HD, that I'm not familiar with, I'll look into that model.

I don't mind US models. I suspect this will be my last DE buy, so I don't mind the occasional customs etc.

7. tuxxdk

Thanks for intel! I've never looked that way before, dunno why. I assume I can use my regular DE blades?

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes you can use regular DE blades. That is the razor head type that started it all.

9. tuxxdk

What would a reasonable price be for a mint/near-mint with non-cracked handle? Or at least a specimen that can be buffed nice and shiny again, I don't mind a bit elbow grease.

I see the prices on eBay vary a lot.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have bought them from $2 plus shipping (cracked) to $25 plus shipping (near mint) depending on if I could see the condition on the photos. The prices have gone up for mint/near-mint since I bought the one in the photo. What I would look for is to see if the head is in good shape (plating) and then worry about an after market handle to match or see if someone like Dave over at Restored Razors would have an old type available that has been inspected and replated. He is in England and he is one of only four people that I would recommend on replated razors.

http://www.restoredrazors.com/mall/...oredRazors/SafetyRazorReplatingandRestoration.

11. tuxxdk

A lot of useful intel. I have something to go after now. I think I'll look for a trade here on the board - I have a ****-load of shaving stuff I need to get of my hands - perhaps someone would be willing, despite no CONUS.

12. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I received yesterday a Gillette New open comb razor from eBay and used it today, smooth like butter and did a fantastic job getting a bbs. I have a Fatip Grande which is also open comb but it is too aggressive for me. The Gillette New is perfect

13. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Any others you would recommend? I wouldn't want to pay shipping/customs hassles by shipping over there.

In response to the OP's question, How about an adjustable? Like a slim or fatboy? I know they command steep prices. Maybe even more so now during the christmas season but I think they're worth a look.

14. tuxxdk

Yeah, I've been thinking about a Fatboy myself, but the prices seems very high, especially customs considered. It's not out of my head yet though.

KLF, that sounds great. I'm getting more and more interested in the Old Type :)

15. tuxxdk

Question: I can see there are many different Old Types.

Some have 3 pins, some have a slitch for the blade like a more modern approach. Some have ball end handles, som have a 3 piece handle, and so forth.

Can someone shred some light? :)