Whiskey lovers

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Norseman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Greetings,

I have noticed the Gin thread, I have also seen a bourbon thread somewhere. But nothing for what I believe you call Scotch Whiskey. But in all fairness, I did not do a thorough search :)

I am not much of a drinker myself. Never have, although like most youngsters I have indulged in a binge or two.
    But now I have decided that I want to acquire the taste for good whiskey. Part of growing up I guess.
    At the moment I "enjoy" a glass of Tallisker, and have a small bottle of Caol Ila and Dalwinnie in the closet somewhere.

As I drink this, I have to admit to I have not acquired the taste quite yet. I have mixed some water into the whiskey, and do manage to find some pleasure in it.

Are there any scotch drinkers out there, or do you favour Bourbon?
    What's you favourite, and how do you drink it?

On the rocks, with some water, lathered up or just plain?

As you can see, I have a long way to go before I can claim to have mauled it

DSC_0383.JPG

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I don't know if they have this where your from Norseman. My favorite is "Early Times" Kentucky Whisky. Tastes as good or better than Jack Daniels I.M.O. and it's cheaper....:eatdrink047:

3. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I enjoy scotch whiskey :) , tasted quite a few with friends, Glenfiddich pops in my mind right now. Always plain.

Boojum1 likes this.
  4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

rule no.1...for Scotch whisky you drop the 'e'...and yes, all single malts are very special...
    Someone mentioned Glenfiddich....very nice...I prefer the 15 as an entry level for this Single malt...
    the Blended Scotch Whiskys are when they blend grain to the malt to bring the price down...although there are vatted malts that are blends of only Single Malts like Johnnie Walker Green Label...

I have discovered a couple very inexpensive blends that can compete with some Single malts though...
    Teachers Highland Cream being the cream of the crop pun intended)...at over 40% single malt where most blends are around 30%.

While not in the same class and a bit more expensive to boot, but maybe easier to find...Johnnie Walker Black Label and Chivas Regal 12 year....both taste surprisingly good...

Mr.Diehl and Boojum1 like this.
  5. Bird Lives

Recently I have discovered on a cold night:.....a cup of 'Green Tea' (either the real thing from the Natural food store- or Lipton's Green Tea bags)........+ a tablespoon of Honey + a half teaspoon of lemon or to taste + 3 cubes of brown sugar + 1.5 oz. of a good Scotch such as Teachers.....Is a great way to enjoy a cold winter's night...:)

FacialCarnage likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never was one for much of the hard stuff back when I used to drink. Always favored beer.
    But that was many, many years ago. I certainly don't miss the hangovers!

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Last night a friend of mine had a little get together for his birthday and I had a close encounter with some scotch, and as I am a whisky heathen I put coke in it ...I must say I enjoyed a glass...or 10 of it (but not so much in the morning :D)

8. Bird Lives

I haven't had a hangover since the mid 70's..... I drink only in moderation, for taste...;) As a career Jazz musician, I didn't like spending my compensation at the same place I earned it...:happy102: So my perspective on how I drink changed quite a bit...Also, I'm very serious about my music and like being in control...So when I drink I never like to past the point where my senses are dulled...
    There is also this thread:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...y-single-malt-will-do-sir-sean-connery.25123/

BTW just in....For all those looking for a good Scotch on a budget...I have 3 brands that every Scotch drinker should know about...Teacher's Highland Cream...Black Bottle...and White Horse...now these; like blends in general; have a bit of a petrol smell...But let them air, and the taste is there...
    All 3 of these use some of the best single malts and I believe are the winners of the more bang for the buck...I would rather have one of these than some of the single malts...I've done some back to back tastings and either couldn't really notice a difference or preferred the blend...this doesn't hold up to middle or higher shelf single malts...but then again when I want a nice smooth scotch and I'm relaxing and talking and hanging I might feel I don't want to neglect the more complex higher shelf single malt so I'd rather enjoy one of these...

9. Bird Lives

I'm not a heathen and I'll mix Scotch with fresh squeezed fruit juice...or lemon soda...delightful...I enjoy a dram of Single malt neat but I also enjoy a nice tasting mixed drink...why not?...But I wouldn't use Lagavulin in a Mohito...:eek:

Monkeylord likes this.
  10. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Lol, this was amusing.
    I have not touched the stuff since I made this thread, and more or less forgotten about the whole thing.
    My heavier drinking days is behind me, but I still have an ambition to acquire the taste for good Whiskey. Preferably Scotch or Irish, I must admit.
    But I do not know why :)

11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I like expensive whiskey like Crown Royal, Jameson, Maker's Mark. I've binged on whiskey quite a few times, but put the stuff down for vodka. It's easy to lose track of vodka when it's mixed with Red Bull which made me leave vodka alone when I blacked out one too many times.

I enjoy beer or rum nowadays.

Mr.Diehl likes this.
  12. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

Tried some Jameson tonight, pretty good. Usually I drink Pendleton. Tried Makers Mark and didnt like it.

Ryan Bales likes this.
  13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Pendleton is Canadian right? I've never had it how is it?

14. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

very smooth

15. Bird Lives

Have you cats tried Teachers Highland Cream...She's a charmer...;)

and talk about losing track...Jim Beam Black is so smooth you really don't think you're drinking alcohol...so you have to make a conscious effort to keep track...Gentleman Jack is like that too.....I like the taste of Scotch so I'm not looking for something that doesn't taste like alcohol...I don't want something so smooth it's boring but if you don't like tasting whisky, Gentleman Jack and Jim Beam Black are BBS smooth....smoother than a soft drink but they are the real deal 40%...

13Fdaddy likes this.
  16. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

whisky.jpg
    I love this stuff, neat no water or any other contaminants, wonderful rich, peaty flavour, not to everyone's liking, but I can't get enough of it!!!!

17. Bird Lives

Great, Great. Great, Great, Great...

One of the best ever......and for the budget minded....White Horse is a cheap blend that uses a healthy % of Laphroaig...

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

While in the USN, a 1/2 bottle of Wild Turkey in about 30 minutes while just a green young'un broke me forever from the hard stuff.

19. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I like most of the 12 year old single malt scotches that you can readily find in the stores here. Having grown up in Kentucky though, bourbon is probably my favorite. I don't really drink much but there's always a bottle of Maker's Mark in the cabinet.

cubancigar2000 likes this.
  20. Aedan382

Aedan382 New Member

+1 on the Laphroaig. Also fantastic from the lovely island of Islay are Lagavulin and Ardbeg. If peat is your thing, those will do you. For speyside I reccommend Cragganmore, Glenlivet, and Macallan.

I'm personally hooked on the Islay scotches, they go great with the type of cigars I like.