Whitening Bone Scales??

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Nov 25, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, 26 hour soak in Hydrogen Peroxide. To me, there is a very noticeable difference in color. I don't mind a little yellowing, to show age, so I stopped. I could have kept going, over the next couple of days, and really whitened it up, but I wasn't looking for the new bone look.
    Another observation was that the Peroxide did little to lighten the rust staining, but it did loosen it up, to where it just wiped off, inside the scales. A lot of the dark area that is now seen, in the pivot pin area is the dark area of the blade, beneath the scales. These bone scales are somewhat translucent.
    So, I will let Y'all be the judges.

Before:

Joseph Wostenholm 1A.JPG

Joseph Wostenholm 1B.JPG

After:
    I had to apply some Mineral Oil. The solution dried the scales out.

Joseph Wostenholm 2A.JPG

Joseph Wostenholm 2B.JPG

Enrico, TestDepth, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Looks good.

Spyder, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It is an improvement.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. :happy088::happy088:

mrchick, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Well done.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looks great and still looks vintage in a good way! :D I'm glad you stayed away from the chlorine; I heard bad things regarding bone, like turning it to mush. :sick007:

DaltonGang likes this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

There's an 8-bit guy on Youtube (just forgot the whole name/etc) who does stuff with old music keyboards and old computers. He uses the peroxide that is used by hair dressers, but also uses sunlight. For something as small as the scales, you could do the following. Get a one gallon plastic bag, put peroxide in the bottom of the bag, put the scales above the peroxide in the bag, and set the whole thing in the sun. The peroxide generates ozone, which when combined with UV in sunlight, bleaches very quickly. Amazing results on an old Macintosh case.

TestDepth likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'll give that a try, next time. But, I don't have the hair dresser peroxide. I was pleasantly surprised how well the Over The Counter stuff worked.

9. Bookworm

The over the counter stuff will do the same - you're looking at a much smaller item than he does. I mean, he rubs it over an 88 key keyboard case :)

10. Bookworm