Who Loves their Gillette Fatboy ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I had a great shave this morning with this razor. It is a 2 pass BBS shave every time for me. I've been shaving with the Fatboy for awhile now. I Love this razor. It shaves beautifully and looks good doing it. Anybody else in love with theirs?

2013-03-22 14.54.58.jpg 2013-03-21 16.09.41.jpg

2. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

Yea, I got three of 'em, love all three but I shave with a str8. Actually, only one is mine, the other two belong to grandsons. Fatboys are great shavers and are durable enough to last a couple of life times.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

It's on my to acquire list :D

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

A FatBoy was the second razor I tried when I first started to "traditional shave"...I loved mine also. Then after I realized I wouldn't be needing to change the setting, I got what amounts to a FatBoy without the adjustment feature an "Aristocrat" from the 40's-50's. Liked both of these razors so much in fact I got several each of them...:happy102:
    I shave now with an EJ89 mated to a Weber SS BullDog handle. I find I enjoy the simplicity and flexability (handle & head swapability and blade shimming ability)of a 3 piece razor. But if I ever go back to a TTO either the FatBoy or the Aristocrat are my choices "hands down"...:)

alpla444 likes this.
  5. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I love mine as well. 3-4 for the face passes and 1 for the neck provides me a smooth irritation-free shave.

6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to try one. I've been using a slim for years.

7. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Love mine too. I have a 1960. Came with the case and a pack of Super Blues just like yours all in mint condition but no instruction sheet. The best shave period

8. Weeper Warrior

I go back and forth between my fatboy and slim. They shave close to the same for me . Slim is a little easier to use around the nose.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Are the heads the same size on both and just the handle different? Or is the fatboy a larger razor all together? I've always liked the looks of the fatboy but never bought one. I'm not any kind of a collector. I've been using the same slim for almost 4 decades and never found the need to buy another one. A bought the Merkur from a friend at work just because he was almost giving it away. By the way, that's one nice looking Fatboy you've got there.

10. supercruiser

supercruiser Member

I love my 59 - When I first discovered "real" shaving, It was the first bigger purchase I made.

I like doing 3 passes: first on 5, then 7 then 9. But if I'm in a rush one pass with 9 is more than passable - not perfect but passable

I actually just got a case of blue blades and im looking forward to completing my set.

[​IMG]

11. Weeper Warrior

The head is fatter on the Fatboy(right) than the slim(left). Slims handle seems longer but it is hard to tell.( In the pic they aren't lined up)

2013-03-22 20.07.54.jpg 2013-03-22 20.08.21.jpg

12. Weeper Warrior

That's a nice one you have there. Mine is also a '59. I bought a '60 Fatboy awhile back and got that '59 FREE. I always shave on 9 for two passes and a little clean up pass. I guess I'm some sort of freak though I never get irritation unless alcohol hits my face after the shave.

13. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pictures. Now I can really see the difference. There is just no doubt now, I've got to have one.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have a 58 and 59 FatBoy, wish I could afford a 60 and 61 to complete the set. Like you I'm partial to my 59 also. The Slim handle is shorter and thinner, For me both(FatBoy and Slim) are excellent razors, I just tend to like the shorter/fatter handles ie. Weber BullDog,Greistshaving "NEW" fat brass handle, Sabi T2 and Cadet TP-01SS...:)

15. gunslinger1108

gunslinger1108 Active Member

The fatboy is next on the lost, I have a slim and a super adjustable short handle. Iam also enjoying my two super speeds, one was my grandfather's and the other I picked up in a antique store.

Anyone have a neglected lonely fatboy that needs a new home? It will well cared for and loved. I will make sure it will get exercise at least once or twice a week... :D

ohpaos likes this.
  16. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

There's nothing quite like a shiny Fatboy. It reminds me of those great 50's & 60's muscle cars. It was technically the first DE razor I tried, but HWMOM confiscated it mid-shave (for safety, I was clueless). He swapped in the Lord L6, which was very good to me. While I first picked the Fatboy to try based on looks, I now appreciate its many great qualities. I prefer longer handles, so the Fatboy & I haven't danced again. But when I look at BF's collection, I often say "Fatboy, you are one sexy razor."

17. Weeper Warrior

Instruction sheet...........:rofl:

ObiDon likes this.
  18. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Put blade in razor. Shave. Lol

ObiDon likes this.
  19. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Ha! that does sound stupid, manual I think is the correct term.

20. Weeper Warrior

Agreed.

Not what I was laughing about I thought you noticed my poorly made instructions that I printed for the picture.