Why can't I find Bluebird blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PanTheMan, May 22, 2015.

1. PanTheMan

PanTheMan New Member

I've almost finished a blade sampler I purchased online, and the blade that impressed me the most was a Bluebird Hi-Stainless. I can't find a place to buy them, though. Amazon sells a 100-pack of single-edged blades for a low price, but I need double-edged blades. I've checked a few websites that are dedicated to selling shaving products and I can't find these anywhere. What's the deal? Have they been discontinued? Are Bluebird blades made by a different manufacturer? When I search for them, I get tons of Feather results. I'm hoping this is just a coincidence because I tried a Feather blade and it honestly felt dull by comparison.

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    From what I've been able to find out, Bluebirds have been discontinued. Sorry.

You might want to give Derby blades a try. They are also made in Turkey.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

BlueBirds were my first bulk blade purchase. I'm sorry to hear they maybe discontinued. :( I've been using either Astra SP's or Vikings Sword(Personna) for sometime now and getting great results. You may want to give them a try :happy088:

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I feel you loss. I really liked the bluebird as well. I have moved on to Gillette silverblues and 7 o'clock

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

6. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I found a site that has them but they usually come paired with other blades but it might be worth checking it out. www.bonanza.com

7. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    Astra's have done the best for me!

Bluebirds not so much! Just sayin, lots of other blades out there!

8. PanTheMan

PanTheMan New Member

So disappointing that I can't buy them now. They shouldn't even have been included in the sampler I bought. I made notes of every blade I used, and the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless and Bic Chrome Platinum were the next best for me, so I guess I'll be using those now. While they are superior (for me) to the 15-ish other blades I tried, nothing stood out as well as the Bluebird. :(

It really is interesting to hear how blades perform differently for each person. I didn't really believe it at first. I read all the Feather and Derby hype before I began sampling and I was excited to try them, but those two blades are actually among my lowest performers, with the Nacet Stainless being the worst, by far.

Anywho, I've gone ahead and ordered a 100-pack of the 7 O'clocks and I'll also pick up a pack of the Bics so I can alternate between the two and really narrow it down to one (second)favorite. I'll have plenty of leftovers, but at least they will be something I won't mind using.

9. DEfettish

Just got an email for 100 bluebirds on Amazon today. Only $8.

10. PanTheMan

PanTheMan New Member

Hmm, all I see are the single-edge blades.
    That's alright though. I bought 100 Gillette 7 O'Clock blades and I might like those better. I'm glad I found a few that I liked from the sampler.

11. DEfettish

Oh man, I didn't read the email close enough. Sorry about that.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Liked Bluebirds. Didn't like Derbies.