Why is lather important?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Epimetheus, May 31, 2015.

1. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Soap is alkali so it is softening the whiskers. Without lather, you need to soak your whiskers a lot longer or you will experience pulling and tugging. When it comes to protecting your skin, even oil is better than lather. Lather is not a particular good protector, but surely it does protect and together with the beard softening properties it gives the edge over alternatives.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Maybe in the USA? But in Europe, commercially available shaving soap was already known in 1760. Probably before as well, though many soaps were locally produced then, but I have no earlier newspaper ads to research that.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I must not have lathered my neck well enough today...resulted in a few nicks, and it showed.

5. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

When I was young and foolish I tried dry shaving. I took nearly a week for my face to forgive me and heal.

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

You use lather so you can tell where you've shaved. Do I have to do everything around here??

7. Greg Becker

Greg Becker Member

I use only oil, at this point, and have no problem telling where I've shaved. I re-apply a bit between passes.