Why no aluminum razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Dec 14, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yes, a very good thread.

Spud, Knox, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  2. matteob

matteob Active Member

image.jpg I don't know whether they sold this in the US but this 1970s UK made Gilette Tech has an Aluminium handle and zamac head. It's a neat little razor for travel if you can't stomach a plastic Dorco!

3. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

I wonder about corrosion because aluminum is not inert. Do they coat it like the brass in older razors was coated?

Historically, aluminum was hard to find and more valuable than gold. The king of Denmark's crown was aluminum. It wasn't until they found a process to liberate it from bauxite that aluminum became so ubiquitous. I wonder if that was why we didn't find it used in razors until the later twentieth century.

PickledNorthern and Carbide Mike like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I think I recall Tom @twhite telling me he used an alloy called 6061. If I got that right it's not 100% aluminum. The other metals added to it increase the corrosion resistance. It's used for ;
    • yacht construction, including small utility boats.
    • automotive parts, such as wheel spacers.
    • some tactical flashlights
    • aluminum cans for the packaging of food and beverages.
    • SCUBA tanks

5. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

There was a bauxite shortage or problem in early 1900's. No bauxite, no aluminum.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Rick was right about the 6061 and it not being raw aluminum; I have bought chromed, oxide coated, and strictly bead blasted versions. Of course too soon to tell. I am a "sort of" fan.

7. Redrooster

Redrooster Member

I've an icon s2 aluminium razor head well made good and solid.I'd not be worried about an aluminium razor head lasting I'd worry about the threads if you match it with a stainless handle.wish I could get a brass handle for my icon but it's not the common thread'not a lot fit.

8. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for all of the input!

RyX likes this.
  9. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Aluminum is a great metal , especially aircraft alloys. 6061 , 7075, they are corrosion resistant and can be ordered and different tempers. hard/ half hard, etc. These aluminums can also be heat treated. Threads can be cold forged, depending on temper and rolled, or formed threads will last. Some industries alodine for added protection. Alodine allows nickel plating, followed by chrome plating, and then E-chrome. Anodizing allows for many colors including clear. 8 or 9 series aluminum is experimental and hard to get.