Wife Seeking Shaving Help For Hubby

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by LifeIsJust, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with some of the above posters. He doesn't sound like he has sensitive skin at all. I don't consider myself to, and my skin couldn't withstand even half of his daily onslaught.

You said that he has a very thick, fast growing beard, I know his pain. Some one suggested a Merkur progress. It's probably a pretty decent choice for him. He can start on a high setting for his with the grain pass, then a medium setting for an across the grain pass. and for his final pass I will suggest heresy. For the first week, finish up with his "vibroblade razor." They have a lot of flaws, but they actually do give a pretty close shave, and he's used to them. Once he is more comfortable with double edge razors, his agaisnt the grain pass ( or possibly passes) can be done with the progress on a very "mild" setting. A futur would probably work well for him, as well, I just don't like to suggest anything that I haven't used personally, and I as yet, have not had the pleasure of trying a futur. if yoru husband liked vintage, a Gillette slim adjustable can be another good choice.

Another option for him is to use 2 razors (much like he is already doing), a fairly agressive razor like a progress set to 3-5 or even a slant for his first 2 passes, and a very mild razor (like a vintage tech) with an extremely sharp blade for his last pass or 2.

Pre and post as already mentioned are improtant, as is good lather.

Good luck to you both.

2. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the shave den.

That is all excellent advice above.

I have sensitive skin as well and soap that is easy on my face, easy to lather, affordable, and available is the proraso in the white tub (green tea and aloe) for sensitive skin. I switched to that after using the pharmacy mug kit and it worked great for me.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.