Wilkinson 7 Day Set

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Just thought I'd post some pics of my latest acquisition. This is just a collection piece that I have no intention of using. It's a pretty sharp looking set, with a strop that appears to have been used very lightly, or not at all.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Interesting. Were they trying to cut in on the Rolls Razor business? Hell, I'd say use it!

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That's pretty neat.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I really kind of want to (at least once), but I'm not too sure about how to sharpen the blades. Plus, look at the head of this thing! No doubt it is cool looking, but also a bit daunting.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I agree, but I say treat it like a str8 and you should be just fine. Its just like a rolls razor minus the case that automatically sharpens the blades.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I've seen one of these in person before and they're really cool. The blades can be sharpened just like any normal straight.

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Very nice Rick! Looks like an excello piece!

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That thing is beautiful. Very nice find! I love the comb. does it spin? Everything looks perfect, including that case. Beautiful set!

9. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Fantastic piece! If you're too timid to try it, send it to me. I'll let you know how it shaves. ;)

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

It sharpens just like a straight unless you do not have the stropper for the blades. Some have them and other do not. It is a little holder that you wedge the wedge into to strop and hone. If you give me the spine dimensions I can see if the one I have may work. If you are going to send them out for honing PM me so that we can do it together to save cost and the honer can use my stropper handle for your blades.

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

The razor is used for stropping the blades, like the Valet Autostrop. I don't know if the Wilkinson came with a separate handle for honing. One might follow Fritz's advice for honing the Rolls (great thread):

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5219

This is a REALLY nice set!

Added: The Wilks Paul Mall had a sharpening handle, but it didn't have the self-stropping head like the Empire (yours). And I'm pretty sure that the Paul Mall blades were more like, if not exactly like, the usual wedge blades of the time. The Empire blades were narrower. BTW, the blade can be removed from the holder that attaches it to the head. Out of the holder, they MIGHT fit into a wedge sharpening handle, but the angle might be wrong.

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Yep.

This set does come with a stropper, but the blades definitely need to be honed first. If I decide to use it, I may hit you up on your generous offer!

I don't know about this. Unless there is some special tool for removal, attempting that looks like a recipe for disaster.

:taunt002

13. tom myers

tom myers Member

Monkey, I have a razor just like that one. The blades are, in fact, meant to be removed from the holders to replace them. The instructions that came with mine say "When any blade needs replacing, which is seldom, slide it out of its clip and replace with a Wilkinson LONGLIFE Blade". This statement comes right after the stropping instructions.

Obviously, they intended for you to replace the blade when stropping could no longer bring it up to shaving condition rather than honing it.

As opposed to being similar to a Rolls Razor, I would describe this as being more akin to an Autostrop or a Ronson self sharpener, inasmuch as you strop the blade in the razor, rather than putting it in a separate handle like the Rolls. Of course, the blades are heavy, more or less wedge shaped blades, but they are not as wide, edge to spine, as the Rolls blade and somewhat more hollow ground.

Interestingly my razor and strop, like yours, also looks like it may never have been used. Do you suppose that the original owners were, perhaps, a bit intimidated by these machines? (I know I am! :eek:) They do rather remind one of some sort of medieval torture device.

Regards,
    Tom

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Thanks, Tom. So, I take it that you have not used yours either? They certainly do look like some sort of potato peeler, but the set in general is very cool. Could I impose upon you to either scan or photograph the instructions and email them to me? I would be forever in your debt if you could do this (just replace the word "forever" with "tomorrow morning at around 10:00 AM" :D).

15. tom myers

tom myers Member

Monkey, in case others are interested, I thought I might as well post the scans of the instructions here.

I hope they come through ok. The first scan is one side of the two sided instruction sheet and the second scan is the opposite side. I also put a separate little "how to use the strop" instruction on with the second one.

[After viewing this post, it looks like the two scans came out in reverse order, (left to right) but I think you can sort it out without much problem.]

Regards,
    Tom

Attached Files:

16. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Thanks Tom! You are a saint! ::angelic004

I don't think I want to get "Shaving Aids" though! :rolleyes: :happy102