wilkinson blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Brett, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Brett

Brett New Member

I have heard/seen Wilkinson Sword blades are made in different countries over the years. I bought a blade sampler the had some Wilks in it and liked them. They came on the " standard " cardboard blister pack, the plastic dispenser was white with the white cardboard over the blades(crossed sword logo). I just recently found some online at a decent price. The blades are packed in the same blister pack but the dispenser is black and the cardboard over the blades is also black(crossed sword logo). Any one know the difference? How about the ones I see with a gold 5 on them? BTW the ones i just bought cost $ 1.10 for 5 which i thought wasnt too bad, any thought? I learned to shave with my dads old TTO with Wilks way back when and recently returned to DE. After the blade sampler run I found the Wilks still do the best for me so far.

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

1.10 for 5 isn't too bad. But they are always much cheaper when bought bulk. I am not 100% sure on the different types of blades from same manufacture. Some are just different packaging while others are different plants which have minor differences in equipment and different calibrations.

Sorry i cannot help but i would think that they are made in different places however could just be new/old package. I think that they are made difference places.

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I've been trying to figure this one out myself...Someone told me if the gold 5 is over the logo they're made in the UK and under the logo Germany....I believe they have stopped making them in the UK and the German ones are supposed to be the worst Wilkies....BUT I was given a pack of German Wilks and didn't even open them for over a year because of the above opinion, til now. And they knocked me out...Four blades later and they are still knocking me out...I know the YMMV factor is sooo high on blades, but I really dig these Wilkies and if these are the worst Wilkinsons then they must all be a safe bet...:)

4. jcwit

jcwit Member

With the Wilks I only get 1 or 2 shaves then they start tugging like crazy, whereas with a Shark, Astra or derby I get 4 to 5 excellent shaves. Plus the Derby's were only $.09 cents each & I can get Sharks for as little as $.07 each. These prices enclude shipping.

5. Brett

Brett New Member

Going to test run the new batch tonight and see how they work. I bought 10 packs of 5 for 1.10 a pack and got at least 3 shaves with each out of sampler so we will see. Thought all Wilks were the same until I did some research. If they work as well as the ones from the sampler pack I am a happy man. My 1957 Super Speed Red tip arrived today I may finish the blades left over in the sampler with it and test the new Wilks in my 34C HD which is my daily shaver. Thanks for the feed back and if anyone else has input on this I would love to get the Wilkinson mystery solved. Will let ya know how the black lable Wilks worked.....

6. Brett

Brett New Member

The Wilks seem fine so far but only one shave in on the first blade. Going to finish the week with the Wilks in my HD to see how it goes the start the blade test in my SS red tip. Cant wait to try that baby out, wish I had 2 faces to shave.

7. azshaver

azshaver Member

Where do you get Sharks @ $.07?

8. jcwit

jcwit Member

9. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

IVe got wilkies in a sampler and liked the shave and I bought some at walmart and cant even get 1 shave out of them.They were in the black plastic holder. I cant prove it bit im sure there is a difference.

10. chaucer

chaucer New Member

FDWIW, I really like the German "Classic" Wilks. For me, they're tied for No. 1 with Gillette Yellows. I've tried the UK Wilks, and they're fine, but overall the Classics are a better combination of sharpness and smoothness. I've also tried Indian Wilks in a red & blue box. They were surprisingly good at a very low price, but I like the Classics much better.

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I know I liked the German Wilks I tried...