Wilkinson Sword Classic DE Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheManWithNoName, Jan 2, 2016.

1. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I ordered some DE blades from Amazon last week, but I didn't realize until after I placed the order that they're being shipped from across seas—Thailand, I believe. Well, needless to say, they're not supposed to be here for another 4–5 weeks from now, according to the Amazon site.

I have a Gillette Ball End Tech razor on the way, and it looks like it will be here tomorrow or Monday. I'd like to start using the razor sooner than 4–5 weeks from now, and I'd prefer to purchase some blades locally instead of ordering more online. The only blades I can find locally are a few generic store brand blades and some Wilkinson Sword Classic blades.

WilkinsonSword.JPG

I've seen some pretty good reviews online about these blades, but I'd still like to get some input from you guys. And even if these are good blades, are they a good pairing with the Gillette Ball End Tech razor? I know a good razor and blade pairing is somewhat dependent on the razor and blade themselves, but also on the person shaving as well—if I understand things correctly.

I was also wondering not only about using one of these Wilkinson blades with my new (to me) razor, but also what other blades would be good to use—or avoid using—with my razor? Bear in mind that I'm new to shaving with a safety razor, and I have sensitive skin.

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice here.

AGHisBBS, RaZorBurn123 and txskimo like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The Wilkinson Sword blades are good blades. The generic blades maybe Dorcos which most people do not like or Personas which most people do like.

Why not try both?

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Wilkies are very middle of the road, with average sharpness, smoothness, and longevity. I used them as a baseline blade in any new razor for about five years, just because they are so spectacularly average.

4. TheManWithNoName

Thanks for your input here, Keithmax and PoM. I really appreciate it.

AGHisBBS and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I would say if you use the Wilkinson you will get a great shave. I have been using Wilkinson Sword blades for many years, I do not think you can go wrong, using them.
    "Happy New Year"

Spyder, Slow Joe, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  6. TheManWithNoName

Thank you for sharing this, PatrickA51. Happy New Year to you, too.

AGHisBBS, RaZorBurn123 and PatrickA51 like this.
  7. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I've found all the store brands around me are re branded Personas. Do you have a Sallys Beauty Supply near? They usually carry them as well, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up some store brand blades. It's all about experimenting and finding out what you personally like.

8. TheManWithNoName

Thanks for the information and advice here, txskimo. I don't have a Sally's Beauty Supply store nearby, but there are some places I can check around to see what they have in stock.

9. impetus

impetus Member

the ones i saw in the pharmacy by me were made in Germany. haven't tried them yet in my Gillette NEW.
    have 11 others i'm evaluating first.

[offtopic] nice avatar :eatdrink047:

TheManWithNoName likes this.
  10. TheManWithNoName

Thanks, impetus!

Based on the reviews I've seen here and elsewhere online, I bought a five-pack of the Wilkinson blades—I really didn't want to wait to use my new razor. I have no frame of reference for comparison, but using the Wilkinson blades for my first ever shave with a safety razor went really well. It's the best shave I've ever had, and now I'm hooked for life on the DE safety razor!

I might move on to learning to use a straight razor, but that's years away, if it ever happens at all. In the meantime, I'm in love with my 1959 Gillette Ball End Tech. I can't wait until I get some DE blades of other brands to see which brand will be my go-to blade for this razor. I'm also anxious to try new soaps and creams. And, of course, I'm also excited to try other DE razors (after I've mastered the one I own now). So many products to try, yet so little money to try them all *sigh*.

I still have my Gillette Fusion ProGlide, but I gave the rest of my unused cartridge razors and what was left of my canned shaving cream. As far as cartridge razors go, the ProGlide isn't that bad, but it's now something that I'll only use in a pinch. But I can safely say I'll never go back to that stuff in a can.

Thank you all who have been helping me figure things out about wet shaving. Your information and/or advice has been much appreciated, and I know wet shaving is only going to get better from here for me.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  11. impetus

impetus Member

i had a similar experience with my Gillette Ball end long comb NEW/CVS double edge blades (Israeli Personna?)
    learned to error on the side of shallow when it comes to blade angle for comfort.
    you can always take more. putting skin back is much more difficult. :p

Straight razors are cool. if i were to get one it would be carbon steel, not stainless. Japanese style handle, with American style blade.
    but i don't see me doing that anytime soon.

Tech is a great razor. do a lot of reading in the forums on who likes what blade in what razor.
    i had Santa order me 10 different blade tucks from http://www.tryablade.com/
    picked the most popular ones based on what i've read here in the forums.

if your looking at shave brushes, check out the Omega 10066 boar brush.
    many say badger or nothing, but i suggest giving boar a try. it's inexpensive, high quality bristles.
    i love mine.

cheers

12. TheManWithNoName

Thanks for the suggestion, impetus. My first brush—the one that came with my VDH starter kit—is a boars hair brush. The Omega 63171 badger hair brush I ordered from Amazon just got here yesterday, and I like it a little better because it's softer. I don't know if boars hair brushes are normally stiffer than badger hair brushes, or if it's just the one I have that's stiffer than other boars hair brushes. Do you find that Omega 10066 to be a stiff brush?

13. impetus

impetus Member

14. TheManWithNoName

I really don't mind at all. I mean, it's really hard to get mad at someone who's trying to help you. Nevertheless, I'll see you in the brush thread. :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like the Wilkies. They used to be available at Walmart, but I haven't seen them there in more than a year now. I miss that. It is a good blade.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

My first 100 pack of blades were Wilkinson Swords. I can't imagine not having them in my Shave den. They pair well with just about any of my razors. One thing I've found is they shave better after the first shave. I hope you enjoy your new razor.

17. TheManWithNoName

This is good to know. I'll be doing my second shave today or tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see if this holds true for me as well. It will be hard to know if it's because the blade is better after some use, or if it's because my technique is getting better. One thing I know I need to do this time around is to use less pressure when I shave. I've been using cartridge razors for so many years now that the muscle memory was hard to fight. I'll be more aware of the pressure I use this time.

I'm definitely enjoying my new razor. I love this thing! I just need to find that sweet spot where I have the angle correct, and then I need to work on being able to use it at the correct angle with consistency. I'm sure that as I continue to use this razor, using it at the correct angle will become second nature to me. Thanks for your reply, Joe.

18. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

I have a decent supply of the German made Wilkinson's... the new ones are made elsewhere... help me remember... India maybe? I like them OK... I've been experimenting with some Russian made blades, which are also OK. For some reason, I like Feather's. But the first shave with a feather can bite me.

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I haven't tried those, but I have quite a few sealed packs of Wilkinson Sword Super Swords, that I like very much.

20. TheManWithNoName

I haven't tried the Super Swords. I've only used the Sword Classics and I really like them. There are a lot of other blades out there that I want to try, and I'm sure I'll find some I like better, but so far I haven't been disappointed with them.