Wilkinson Sword from Germany

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Oct 1, 2016.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day ;)

What your experience with Wilkinson Sword from Germany any good or bad about it and they're not mine.

Are they are sharp ???
    Are they are smooth ???
    How their longevity ???

Cheers ;)

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey and Carbide Mike like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Meh. I used them for years as a baseline blade to compare other blades to because they are so average. Average smoothness, average sharpness, average longevity 2-5 shaves. Very much a middle of the road blade.

They are not great and not bad either. Very few people use them as a favorite blade, but by the same token, very few consider it the worst blade they have used either.

3. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Here in Germany the Wilkinson are pretty much the only blades you'll find in any pharmacy store or supermarket (except from the occasional Croma). I really don't know why - because there are much cheaper and much better alternatives in my opinion.

@PLANofMAN is absolutely right - these are just "okay" blades, acceptable performance in most razors. I neither love nor hate them - but I have to say they are much too expensive for what they have to offer. You're better (and cheaper) off using one of the popular Russian brands like Voskhod, Sputnik and the likes. And no, the Cartel did not force me to say that ;)

Douglas Carey, PLANofMAN, RyX and 3 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If the Wilkies were still available in my area, I would still buy them. Otherwise, I order Personnas, USA made and a fine blade.

5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The trick to finding them locally seems to be the same as finding Injector blades locally- independent pharmacies. Those and, if you have one in the area, Harmon Beauty stores.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have a Big fondness for the Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword Edge blades. Made in the late 60's. About the best there is.
    Many like the newer German Wilkinsons, I have some, but haven't tried them.
    Best advice is to try them, and you decide for yourself.

7. DaltonGang

@SpeedyPC , send me a pm, and I can mail you a couple blades to try. As long as you live in the states.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. SpeedyPC

@DaltonGang thanks but I'm from Australia ;)

9. SpeedyPC

Are they made in the same factory in Germany

[​IMG]

10. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I received a tuck of these blades in a PiF this summer. The ones in the black plastic holder. They are not marked where they are made, iirc. I like them quite a bit, and would consider getting more at some point. There is no real marking except the wilkinson sword name, so I'm a bit concerned about getting the same blades that I have now. Not sure how many variations wilkinson makes?

I use blades twice and toss them, so I'm not one to ask about longevity. I found them to be a nice balance between sharp and smooth. "Crisp" sharpness, not harsh to me.

11. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Two my knowledge there are at least 3 kinds of Wilkinson classic blades.

The German blades sold over here have mostly black, sometimes white packages (though I think the white ones aren't being produced any more).

Then there are the British ones, white package as well.

These might as well be the English blades ... you can only tell the difference by looking at the back of that cardboard - there it says either "Made in Germany" or "Made in England". But chances are high that those are the German ones - not entirely sure about that, but I think the british factory closed in 2000. Some people say the "vintage" Wilkinson Blades made in England (the blades themselves are labelled "Made in England") are the best of the bunch.

Doesn't every Walmart sell the Wilkinson blades?

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The vintage super sword blades labeled made in England are exceptional. I used one this morning in fact.

Walmart stopped carrying the German made ones about four years ago.

13. DaltonGang

I managed to squirrel away about 125-150 Wilkinson SSE blades. I guess they are going to last a while, since I've been straight shaving lately, exclusively.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The German classic is decent. It is super sharp but starts to feel a little rough after the first couple of shaves. At least for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

15. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

These are my go to blades. The reason being is that I can get a great shave with it no matter which razor I use.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

16. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've used them for years, shaves great with any of my Gillette Adjustables. a new drug store opened in my area and to my surprise they carry them and a number of other DE shaving products.

17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I'm just getting back into DE shaving after a multiple decade absence. I bought a sample pack of blades that included Wilkinson blades
    (German made). Just tried my first shave today with the Wilkinson. Very close shave but I had a fair amount of irritation. So far I have tried Merkur blades which I did not like. Astra SP which were excellent. Now the Wilkinson - which I would rank 2nd of the three I've tried - we'll see how the second shave goes. I have 14 different blades more to go so the ranking will change for sure. I'm using a Merkur 34c razor for all the shaves.

18. David W650

David W650 Active Member

For me a good blade. As mentioned by some folks they can be a little ruff on the first shave.

19. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

I have had to much bad luck with Wilkinson from Germany that I no longer actually recommend them.

20. shadowfeind

shadowfeind Active Member

I am using derby blades and am having ingrown hair problems. I think I need to switch to a sharper blade. I have ordered the astra super platinum, astra super stainless steel and Lord platinum. What do you think about these blades?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk