Wilkinson Sword - "Sticky"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The lot I bought a few weeks ago for about $55 held the only razor I really cared about...the Wilkinson Sticky.
    [​IMG]

A little about the Wilkinson Sticky Razor

The name 'Sticky' comes from the special resin handle that has an ability to feel very 'grippy' when wet - providing a very safe and solid grip when you shave. From the instuctions book "the material used creates a positive grip when wet"

Designed by well renowned British designer Keneth Grange this award winning TTO razor design weighs in at 53.2g, it's relatively top-heavy and sports a rather large and hefty handle.

Manufactured from the late 1968 into the 1970's (potentially up until 1977).
    (If anyone have more precise manufacturing years please let me know).

US patent:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two models made;
    - European market (gray or silver end-cap),
    - US market (blue end-cap) and rumored to be a bit more aggressive than it's British cousin.

Rumored to be a rather mild razor some people really, really love it...and some people find it to be lacking.
    I haven't personally tried it out yet but I think it might well be queued up for next week....

The one I got cleaned up pretty well and have no cracks, etc.
    For $55 for the lot, that included the Gillette Slim as well, I think I did pretty well.

When I first heard about the razor and saw pictures of it I did had my doubts as I am not overly keen on razors with that much plastic in them - but let me tell you, those concerns goes straight out the window as soon as you pick it up. The razor feels very solid and sturdy and that 'magical plastic' feels smooth and never cold. It's a very, very comfortable feeling razor..

Here's a video, not mine, showing the TTO operation and just the razor in general:

So, here's the sticky I bought, seen in the lot photo above, after 10-15 minutes of clean-up efforts:

(Mine has a dark blue/black end-cap which I assume makes it a US model).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For size comparison:
    From left to right: Gillette Big Boy Deluxe, Wilkinson Sticky and Gillette Slim:
    [​IMG]

Great looking, and feeling razor. Happy I got it for what I think was a fair price and can't wait to try it out!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice!

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Always found these interesting but never saw one in person. Please post your shave findings!

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    interesting_more.jpg

Seriously, that's pretty cool.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol, ok, ok maybe it was a bit information-overload :)

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

So, this is a razor?

Bristle Me, maltedmilk and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You've really come a long way :)

gorgo2, Slow Joe, Bristle Me and 2 others like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Nice score!! I've never used a Wilkinson Sword safety razor, let us know how it shaves? :happy088:

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Nice!! Still looking for one myself. Been looking for a lonnnnnnnng time.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very cool. Looking forward to your thoughts after shaving with it.

Darkbulb likes this.
  11. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

@Darkbulb glad you managed to find one. Nice one. I finally broke mine out this week. I haven't got to much to compare it too, but it was a good shave. Defiantly very mild. I can't imagine ever getting to much trouble from this razor. As for the build quality. It's solid as they come. It's more resin than plastic, and the weight is nicely balanced but with plenty in the head to do the work for you. It probably is a little too mild to be my everyday shave. But I'm a proud owner of one of these fantastic razors, and it will get plenty of run outs.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm very curious to try it out. Gonna be a tough call if next week will be a Sticky-week or a week with my Mystery from Argentina.

Btw. is your Sticky a US- or European Market one?

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

15. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

Well. I was lying in bed reading the threads, and when I read that I had to go and check. I didn't know about that.
    It's blue. So I guess a U.S. Issue.
    I've heard somewhere too, that the boxes open different ways.
    One longways, one widthways. I have no idea if this is true. Mine opens longways.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Have you used a Schick Krona? Could be useful for a comparison.

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

They sure do;
    Longways: US case
    Sideways: European case.

[​IMG]

Did you find the 'hidden' blade compartment on the bottom of the case? :)
    See diagram below (fig 4):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I actually haven't - I do hear that their level of aggressiveness is very close to the super speeds of the 40's.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That would put it at least even with the Krona, probably a bit above. I'd forgotten the Sticky exists but it sounds like a more appealing razor all the time. Should you ever decide to put it on a select pass-around, I'd like to be on your list. :)

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And if you decide to clean up and try that Pal injector, be cautious...you wouldn't think to look at it but it's a meanie.