Will you buy the Mongoose?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Will you be buying the Mongoose?

1. Yes, I am drooling at the thought of a modern, SS SE razor!

15 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. No. Not at $149/not interested

65 vote(s)
    70.7%
  3. Yes but only the head when that option becomes available as I want to use it on my own handles

12 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think the second batch is just a week or two away now.
    For $149 will you be buying this modern, stainless steel SE razor?
    (I believe there will be an option to buy just the head in late September - and the head fits on most 3-piece razor handles).

More info

Robyflexx and Chuck F like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Only when they get the decimal in the right spot on my 6-figure income.

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Nope.

BigT likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Its definitely is a very nice razor. I have razors now that can do the same thing. I'm on the fence with this beautiful shaver.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm very much a fan of SE shaving with the Gem or EverReady 1912, 1924, pushbuttons etc., the Mongoose however holds no interest for me. I applaud the effort certainly, but I honestly see no advantage to the Mongoose over Schick injectors or the above mentioned SE razors, other than the handle weight(lacks any knurling however) and handle changeability which is easily accomplished with the other SE razors as well(10/32 set screw).

Especially when considering the initial cost to own and use the Mongoose(from research I've done the blades seem a bit pricey). Also the awkward blade loading leaves something to be desired IMO. So while the Mongoose is unique, if the collectors don't buy them up, I think the prices will come down and I'll be able to get one much cheaper down the road, in the secondary market...:)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

the idea of any single edge, injectors excluded, doesn't float my boat.
    mostly my fault, I haven't found blades that appeal to me yet.

Bristle Me and jeraldgordon like this.
  7. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

I got a Weber PH and it killed any desire to get another razor.

8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

If It were cheaper and I made more money I would try it. $149 is insane. Besides I really need to stop buying things I Do not need. These ADs really do get out of hand.

Delawhere?, Tdmsu and fram773 like this.
  9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

No! the price is insane.

Allen Whitney and BigMark like this.
  10. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

$149 seems pretty cheap compared to the Cobra and perfectly reasonable compared to other stainless steel razors.

I'd love to get one and if the price stays the same I probably eventually will, but at the moment I don't have the fun money to allocate to it.

11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

You have a good point. The issue for me though is the price of the blades as well. I know the blades are not cheap and I know you get what you pay for but 20 bux for 20 blades is a little high. However I do not make enough to justify buying this, blade price part of the issue.

12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'd rather buy 10 cadets and have 10 beautiful and interesting handles.

13. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I don't get why they would make a razor that accepts only Japanese injector blades when standard injector blades are being made that are much cheaper (and made in the USA). Is it some kind of patent issue?

Delawhere? likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Btw, to add one datapoint: the 'Head only' option is going to be about $120

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm curious why they didn't go ahead and design it as a DE for those blades. That might have helped offset the asking price. I wish them luck with their venture.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Move the decimal one place to the left, and I would be interested in trying it out.

FatherofSquirrel, Boojum1 and BigT like this.
  17. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

The development of new DE razors warms my heart. It shows that the Wet Shavers movement away from Modern Cartridge Razors is growing. That's great! Will I buy it? To quote The HoosierTrooper "Nope". I have enough razors to do the job as well or better than the Mongoose.

BigT likes this.
  18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

No

Under no uncertain terms No!

Bristle Me, BigT and Boojum1 like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think I will stick with my standard (Schick style) injector razors.

Boojum1, BigT, blanka and 1 other person like this.
  20. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

This is a topic that clearly shows a difference in opinions between forums. Other guys are drooling over this thing and fighting like pirahanas to get on the list for the next batch, but here there is a resounding No. Im guessing based on the price point. For those who said no, have you tried the cobra classic? Or ever shaved with a feather pro SE blade? I was lucky enough to get on a trial tour and had the pleasure for a week. That thing put all of my DE razors to shame. It was a much better shaving experience, and I cant wait to purchase the head only. I agree that the current handle lacks knurling. I am by no means part of "The Elite Buyers Club" as I call them...but I think this thing is a game changer and look forward to having one in my den. To each his own...i suppose.