Will you buy the Mongoose?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Will you be buying the Mongoose?

1. Yes, I am drooling at the thought of a modern, SS SE razor!

15 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. No. Not at $149/not interested

65 vote(s)
    70.7%
  3. Yes but only the head when that option becomes available as I want to use it on my own handles

12 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

You can never sound like a jerk when you're in my category.:happy036:

2. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

I believe that if you are in the market for a SS razor, the Mongoose should be of heavy consideration. The quality of the blades that it uses should trump pretty much every other DE/SE option available. I probably will not be purchasing the Mongoose- as it is outside of my price range for the moment. Would I ever consider purchasing one, if my finances allow? You bet! I like the fact that it allows for additional flexibility with the option to exchange the handle.

What I would really like to see is a modern take on the GEM razors- which use standard SE blades.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

This is the route I'm taking for this razor. Looks great to be sure, however there's a lot better things I can put $150 into.

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm on the waiting list for batch 2, and I look forward to trying it. The closest razor I have to an SE is my Feather SS straight razor, so for me it will be something different.

As for economics, you can purchase Feather Professional blades on Amazon for less than $1 each - still not a great deal. And worst-case, I would likely get most of my money back if I decide to sell the Mongoose.

As for logic, I won't get a substantially better shave with the Mongoose than I get with my Parker 99R -- certainly nothing that would justify 5 times the purchase price! But if logic drove my interest in traditional shaving, I wouldn't already own a sackful of razors! :happy088:

BigMark and CyanideMetal like this.
  5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

We have reached mid-November and I wouldn't expect the wait to be much longer for the batch 2 release. I signed up for the head only option so that I can use my own handles. It looks like most of the guys who own them already are satisfied customers.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

It does look nice, but I won't be getting one. I am in the process of PIFing the SE razors I have now.

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I'm waiting on a head only in B2.

wristwatchb likes this.
  8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

No Mongoose, Cobra, Viper, Tarantula, Brown Recluse, F16, Super Laser Zapper, or anything like 'em for me.
    I don't get it.

I'll will admit however that I'd be willing to plunk down $20.00 for a decent Schick Krona...

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I'm on the waiting list for Batch 2 as well. No real justification but as mentioned, I believe I could get most of the money back should I really not like the razor.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Is there a website for the mongoose?

11. Aeacus

Aeacus New Member

I think it's really cool to see modern razors in this style, but I wouldn't dream of dropping that much money on one! :p

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

I stopped looking at new razors once I found my holy grail razor ... the ATT R1. New ones are pretty to look at but I just don't need or want a new one.

13. CyanideMetal

Hard to beat an ATT. I use the R2 and H2 exclusively and haven't touched any other DE in months.

Aimless1 likes this.
  14. JR Reyes

No website joe...they are going to be stocked and sold through Bullgoose after the release of the upcoming batch 2. The bad news that you can expect a price increase moving forward. The batch 2 list closed back on Oct 8.

15. Slow Joe

Thanks for the info.

16. Slow Joe

I have kind of changed my opinion on this. After seeing loads of videos on YouTube about this product, I have to admit this product's appeal is growing on me. It looks great. The build looks solid, and all the reviewers I have seen have said it shaves great. Only 2 things stopping me from buying this. Lack of availability and lack of funds. Good luck to anyone who is purchasing one, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Darkbulb, wristwatchb and fram773 like this.
  17. JR Reyes

Check your Inbox Boys because I just got my Ordering Email from Mongoose. It looks like the Batch 2 list is going to get released .... Finally!!!

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I ordered the satin finish full set, which includes both handles. :git:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  19. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I ordered the mirror polished head and slim handle today. I have been waiting about 7 weeks.

wristwatchb likes this.
  20. CyanideMetal

I ordered 2 Satin heads. #Wheresthedamninvoice

wristwatchb likes this.