Williams mug soap being discontinued is confirmed

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Omelmad, Jul 2, 2015.

1. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

If you will be visiting Springfield Ohio and needing a few pucks, call ahead the Whitacre Drug Store on East Main St. They can get it in for you. They need two business day. In September, they got 11 pucks for me at 1.49 each.

Bama Samurai and imGrunt like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Yes....they are fancy indeed.

3. Paul Turner

and now I have Dial for Men deodorant soap...the REAL Clubman of soaps :)

4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Interesting follow-up to the "discontinuation" of Williams soap. Every store I have been in in the last few months remains fully stocked with Williams. This reminded me of a time in the early 1980's when I went to my local drug store and was chatting with the pharmacist that I knew. She saw I had a couple of Williams pucks in my hand to check out. And I remember her saying to me..."I hear they are discontinuing that soap soon. Might want to pick up a couple of extra pucks." Funny. Some things never change. This soap is taking on mythical status. Here we are 35 years later...and the rumour of William's demise continues to circulate. I have about 10 pucks left of my stock...and 25 other soaps/creams to hold me for a while yet.;)

Erik Redd and ninjack like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. ShopRite shelf has about a dozen or so stocked.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Many years ago when I was a college guy I had my barber order me a mug and brush.
    Then I went to the drug store and bought a Williams puck. I never got them to work so kept DE shaving and used what was called then called "the green slim" or Edge.
    Arko and a brush I would stumble on here at the Den, years later.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

I was in our local Fred's discount store today and they had about 8 pucks on the shelf at $1.00 a piece....the last time I was in there they were out.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Member

Counterfeiters have no shame.

White731 likes this.
  9. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

And not much sense if they choose to counterfeit Williams. :happy068:

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Someone said something about Williams being formulated many times and the quality going downhill each time....Hmmm, well here's my unbias take on it....I first tried it in the late '60's, just couldn't get it to lather...So you could say I didn't try....I never could get it to lather..

Seque to the late 70's.....not impressed....

Mid '80's one of the Drug Stores in Baltimore had a special at Christmas with Williams, a Gillette Black Handled Super Speed, a cheap brush and an Old Spice Mug....I cut myself to ribbons...at the time I blamed it on the non-quality lather...really dug the Old Spice mug though...continued to use it with a Schick Injector and some of my Pop's Floris Shave soap..

2 years ago, picked up a puck of the current stuff, while waiting on some incoming Arko....Man, the cake I picked up lathered like crazy, and a quality lather too....I started picking up some Williams from different places...Every cake I've tried....is smoking.....I think its better than it was! I've bowl lathered, face lathered....even used a puck as a stick...really dug that!

Anyway....thats my story....Figures....I'd start to dig it and they'd discontinue it.....But I think the whole discontinuing is an Urban Myth...

Williams :git:'s

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Douglas Carey and NCoxSTL like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm with you (only the Urban Myth part, not the "dig it" part). Our local ShopRite is still stocked.

12. Paul Turner

I believe the proper punishment for these counterfeiters would be a group of people with bad singing voices singing in their ear-'LLLLLECTRIC SHAVE!!"

13. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've been able to get a good lather since I started using the Strong Set brush (not so much with a synthetic). It's not that difficult to do. I've got 9 or 10 pucks left, and it's still available for cheap.

14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Nuts. Reminds me of Johnny Carson. I really didn't watch all the time but I always knew that he (it) was there if I wanted or needed it.

dscaver likes this.
  15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Member

I got sick in 2014 and my memory has been messed up ever since. I saw your post and recalled I bought a dozen pucks in 2015 for old times sake (when this thread started; Amazon, a dozen pucks for $12 delivered). 2016, been on an Arko and Lucky Tiger bender for a while and didn't recall using the Williams dozen at all.

For the past few months whenever I used the mug with the diminishing puck in it I called it "The Unknown Lather". I had no idea what it was or where it came from. All I know is, the lather was nice, rich, slick, plaster-on, no drama, etc. Your post, again, gave me pause to look in the cupboard and I noticed the dozen William pack was missing one puck. WTH? I took out a new one and mashed it atop the old. Lathered up this morning (boar/Wostenholm XL Celebrated 7/8), another great shave and, uh huh, I've been using Williams and didn't know it.

After 50 years of shaving I either suddenly figured out how to use Williams or the last bunch I bought was a fluke. I'm with you - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I really need to starting labeling and dating some things. :signs002:

Bird Lives likes this.
  16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I'm not sure if it's a "rumour" or just wishful thinking on some people's part. There are some people who are eternal optimists.:D

Rusty blade likes this.
  17. Grick

Grick Active Member

Just ordered a 6 pack from amazon. Might be a good investement....who knows how sought after they're gonna be....:signs136:

18. Paul Turner

"on its way to being discontinued? I presume there will be updates on this

19. Paul Turner

Don't...they....know, it's the end.....of the world
    It en-ded........when you said.......goooooood-byyyeeeeeee

feeltheburn and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. Paul Turner

That's what I need to do for my next time....add the water. But I'll need to find something better to shut the mug with, if it becomes too bubbly.