Williams shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by cjw, Feb 6, 2017.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Get it wet first. It should slide right in.
    There's always time for lubricant!

PickledNorthern and SpeedyPC like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm going to have to break out the Williams one day.

PLAla and RyX like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I see Williams in just about every pharmacy here in town but the only way I'll buy it is if a friend of mine in Europe or a relative of mine in Israel wants to try it. I won't buy it for myself again.

4. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Williams was my first shave soap & I can get a decent lather with a lot effort, though it tends to dry my skin out. I picked up a puck for nostalgia during the last discontinuation scare but don't plan on using it.
    While I've never had the pleasure, I hear the pre-Combe vintages prior to all the reformulations were quite nice.

5. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I have a few pucks of vintage Williams that I got from @Primotenore in a very generous PIF, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I was waiting to finish up a sample so I have a container for it, finally got one gone and have the Soap Pass-Around box now... It's a good problem to have!

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

After 4 days of using Williams, I'm tossing the puck into the shower. I don't want to work that hard for sub par lather.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

well, what I meant is, the cabinet over my sink is getting crammed with shaving soaps&Aftershaves. But my I'd have to put it in the bottom section(under the sink. When I use it, I'll just find a place for it ON the sink(as I did the first time)&wrap the mug with alum. foil).

RyX likes this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My sentiments also!

Troy M likes this.
  9. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Never have tried it. One store in the area carries it - I may pick up a puck - always open to a new adventure. If it doesn't work then as other have done - use it in the shower.

10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Williams is available locally to me for $1 a puck. It's just so temperamental. I have one puck that I grated into a separate container and soaked in water. I may need to use it again soon as this thread for piqued my interest yet again.

RyX likes this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I keep a fresh box on my top shelf to serve as a reminder to what a dip stick I was to buy it in the first place :)

PickledNorthern, RyX and swarden43 like this.
  12. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Seems to be in every store around here. I have yet to try it. I've heard many mixed reviews - lots of love and hate. It's less than $2, so I figure I should try it one day and if I don't like, just pitch it or relegate it to shower duty.

RyX likes this.
  13. cjw

cjw Active Member

Like anything else. I've had $30.00 soaps I didn't like and threw out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I gotcha Paul. Your previous comment brought the scene from that movie to mind. Guess you are soon to make a choice - maintain your present shave den, or install a second wing?
    Need-Bigger-Basket.gif

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Right-The Chief's words do match mine here :). Gonna have to maintain the present den though-I rent this place.

RyX likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Many den expansion projects take place through the modern marvels of Ikea. In some pretty cool space saving ways.

17. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I like the Williams Mug Shaving Soap. I have enough to last me awhile. Probably a dozen or so packages. I bought them when they closed a CVS Pharmacy got them for 50 cents each.

18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

On deck for Williams Wednesday in the morning...
    IMG_1319.JPG
    Got it for a buck at the fleamarket. If it doesn't work out, no biggie.

Linuxguile and AGHisBBS like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Used Williams this morning.
    Lathered okay. No scent I could detect. Meh.

20. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I use Williams and Arko exclusively. One day, I will open up that Palmolive stick on my shelf as well.